• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Associate
if its priced anything much over £1500, I just don't see many gamers buying them

I don't understand why people assume NVIDIA actually want to sell many of them, or even will have many of such chips? Their priority are enterprise class cards, with much much better margins per chip, which use same production capacity (as same process). This in itself already suggest what the availability and pricing will be. That aside, I have already seen a bunch of news saying demand is so great for NVIDIA GPUs that new 5k gaming series is expected to be quite a bit more expensive and AIB also expect much higher average sell price, apparently. NVIDIA doesn't need to compete with anyone in the high end anymore, nor that they need to sell many of these cards. 5k series will likely just be positioned above current 4k series, which will still be produced as well (as different process and by that means separate production capacity, so no sense removing them from the market any time soon).

Man of Honour
There is no shortage of people, gamers, who'll pay top money for an actual top GPU these days - nVidia would have probably still sold almost as many 4090s if they'd doubled the price, where it is a harder sell is the tiers below that - people don't generally pay top money for second best.

Soldato
I think the 4090 is going to age well, it could be another thorn in Nvidia's side. With AMD sitting out the high end next gen, Nvidia doesn't need to do much for next gen if it were not for the 4090 but due to the 4090 being so quick they have to least beat it.

If the 4090 didnt exist, Nvidia could just come out with a 5080 thats 20% faster than the 4080 and people will eat it up, but because of the 4090 they cant do that now if they want to make money.

If Nvidia does that anyway then they can't price up the 5080 or its sales will be cannibalised by second hand 4090 sales, which is exactly what happened with the rtx2000 series, where buyers rejected it and bought second hand 1080ti's instead

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the 4090 didnt exist, Nvidia could just come out with a 5080 thats 20% faster than the 4080 and people will eat it up, but because of the 4090 they cant do that now if they want to make money.
Well that's indeed possible with them sticking to a 256bit-bus w/203 chip (if true ofc). I'm more interested in seeing what they do with the top 202 chip tbh, looks like they may actually segment the ultra high-end with maybe a Ti variation or we gamers just get the 384bit version.

No top-end competition means that they can do just this! (5080 was never going to get 202, too expensive).

Last edited:
Associate
The 4090 is the first time in years where I just don't feel the need to upgrade all that much. It's so ridiculously fast, the only use case I see for the 5090 is high refresh path traced cyberpunk tier games. This is helped in part by Frame Gen.

If it wasn't for the price, this is the new 1080 Ti of GPUs

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm more interested in seeing what the next iteration of RT, frame gen and dlss and overall RTX feature set will bring tbh. Performance wise, 4080 and certainly the 4090 is pretty damn good for a long time, of course if nvidia push their RT sponsored titles further then they might not be so good compared to 50xx ;) :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm more interested in seeing what the next iteration of RT, frame gen and dlss and overall RTX feature set will bring tbh. Performance wise, 4080 and certainly the 4090 is pretty damn good for a long time, of course if nvidia push their RT sponsored titles further then they might not be so good compared to 50xx ;) :p

Yep. If they do not bring any new features I may just keep what I have until either until the 6000 series or I find a new deal via a price error again :cry:

I am very impressed with DLSS 3 in the games I have tried. No need to upgrade really. Just don't buy games on launch and buy half price once beta testing is complete and performance won't be an issue.

That said I would rather get a 5070 as long as Jensen uses lube and does not insist on going in dry.

Caporegime
Yep. If they do not bring any new features I may just keep what I have until either until the 6000 series or I find a new deal via a price error again :cry:

I am very impressed with DLSS 3 in the games I have tried. No need to upgrade really. Just don't buy games on launch and buy half price once beta testing is complete and performance won't be an issue.

That said I would rather get a 5070 as long as Jensen uses lube and does not insist on going in dry.

Who knows, maybe RDNA 4 will deliver..... :p :D

But in no real rush either tbh, 3080 still holding up very well in the last few games I've been playing and when the FG mod works, it works very well.

Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
image.png

Soldato
Who knows, maybe RDNA 4 will deliver..... :p :D

But in no real rush either tbh, 3080 still holding up very well in the last few games I've been playing and when the FG mod works, it works very well.
I've had a 3080 since they launched and it's been amazing. I've only come across one situation where the VRAM has been a problem at 1440p. Even then, it turned out to be a badly optimise HD texture pack, which I just uninstalled. I am planning on getting a good 4K TV soon though (yep, still on 1080p) and it will likely struggle on that.

Caporegime
I've had a 3080 since they launched and it's been amazing. I've only come across one situation where the VRAM has been a problem at 1440p. Even then, it turned out to be a badly optimise HD texture pack, which I just uninstalled. I am planning on getting a good 4K TV soon though (yep, still on 1080p) and it will likely struggle on that.

Depends on the game, obviously you're not going to be pushing 100+ fps with max settings in newer titles @ 4k but on the whole, the 3080 handles 4k pretty well, obviously using DLSS and depending on the game, a couple of settings especially RT based ones dropped down a notch. Also, in terms of clarity/sharpness, DLSS performance at 4k generally looks better than native 1440p or DLSS quality at 1440p since upscaling tech works better when the render res. is higher and in quite a few games, higher res. lod/assets are loaded in when you are running 4k+.

Associate
I pretty much agree with the above posts - I game at 4k 120hz with a 4070TI and it can play almost all games at 120fps max settings, except Cyberpunk. Only thing that lets it down is the 12gb vram, so I feel I have little need to upgrade to Blackwell (but probably will with the upgrade itch ;)), but it depends on the feature set it offers.

DLSS & FG being so good is a bit of a poisoned chalice for Nvidia if you ask me.

Associate
I pretty much agree with the above posts - I game at 4k 120hz with a 4070TI and it can play almost all games at 120fps max settings, except Cyberpunk. Only thing that lets it down is the 12gb vram, so I feel I have little need to upgrade to Blackwell (but probably will with the upgrade itch ;)), but it depends on the feature set it offers.

DLSS & FG being so good is a bit of a poisoned chalice for Nvidia if you ask me.

Well it's coming at the right time just as lots of people have upgraded to 4K 240hz displays and 1440p 360hz displays, it's definitely a reason to upgrade to get the most out of your new display (depending on the titles you're playing of course) you may already be doing that easily.

I am in agreement though, it's definitely a user by user question. I've not experienced anything above 240hz 5120x1440 yet... and I'm back at 4K 144hz for now.

Associate
I'm still using a 3080 10g at 4k it does fine especially with DLSS. Just have to use high settings instead of ultra on modern games.

In dragon's dogma 2 my 5800x is more of a problem than the 3080.

5080 will be a nice upgrade, got a good 4 years out of the 3080 .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom