Bladerunner 2 (Spoilers!)

Soldato
Is the IMAX version of this still letterboxed? Wanting to see this at it's best and thinking about travelling a lot further to see this in the larger screen format.

If you look on the previous page,Roger Deakins,who is the cinemotographer said he preferred the 2D widescreen version. Apparently its not really worth it in 3D as it was not filmed in 3D. However,I did notice one or two parts where I could see slight cropping which would not be seen on an IMAX screen.

However,unless you go to a decently sized IMAX cinema,many are not really that big - I went to the Cineworld at the O2 and saw it on the 2D superscreen which is probably the largest non IMAX screen in London,and it was fantastic and actually bigger than many nearby "IMAX" screens. Apparently it has dual 4K projectors and Dolby Atmos sound - it was deffinitely worth paying a bit extra for the larger screen as the visuals are fantastic.

Caporegime
If you look on the previous page,Roger Deakins,who is the cinemotographer said he preferred the 2D widescreen version. Apparently its not really worth it in 3D as it was not filmed in 3D. However,I did notice one or two parts where I could see slight cropping which would not be seen on an IMAX screen.

However,unless you go to a decently sized IMAX cinema,many are not really that big - I went to the Cineworld at the O2 and saw it on the 2D superscreen which is probably the largest non IMAX screen in London,and it was fantastic and actually bigger than many nearby "IMAX" screens. Apparently it has dual 4K projectors and Dolby Atmos sound - it was deffinitely worth paying a bit extra for the larger screen as the visuals are fantastic.

I do a simple test when I sit down to watch a movie. I just hold up my hand in front with palm open and see if the screen is larger than my hand. Of course the distance makes a difference but I tend to sit level with the screen as close as I can be. That way at least i can judge the ratio of the size of the screen to my eyes. My local Odeon is bigger than my palm by a bit, I'd say 20% top and bottom. My 50" TV at home is just smaller.

I went to IMAX to watch Dunkirk which was 50% larger than my hand ratio but the seats was not comfortable….I prefer my local odeon.

Soldato
Who wants their own Joi... god damn Ana De Armas is fineee...
ana-de-armas-gq-0816-02.jpg

Soldato
The moment I left the cinema I wanted to go back and watch it again, sadly I don't have that chunk of time until next week.

The soundtrack is on Spotify if anyone is interested.

Associate
Saw this at the IMAX. Not sure I like it. It over played the "masculine is cool" narrative and sexualised women, especially Joi. She was subservient to her man, bound to him and there for his pleasure. I think the best thing about it though was Ryan Gosling. He is a handsome and beautiful man!

Soldato
Just got back from watching in Imax, awesome even if you don't like the story with how it's been shot nearly every scene has something in to look at. I don't think the 3d was required but watching it on the size of the Imax at our local and the sound just added to it. I would have liked more synth in the soundtrack to honor the original but you could tell it's got Hans Zimmer allover it, one of the tracks was pretty much a rip from the Man of Steel soundtrack.

I don't agree with above, it's set in the same universe that we got in the 80s they didn't need to go in a SJW allover it and I'm glad they didn't. Joi was built as a pleasure droid originally but K's had so much more to her.

Associate
Well I loved this. Thoughtful, beautiful, ear pleasing and emotional. Was a great sequel to the original and I think may result in another film at some point in the future?

I thought the acting was superb, Ford was so much better in this than his Han Solo in TFA. I'd love to go and see it again, possibly the best cinema experience I've had in a long long time.

Associate
...but at almost three hours does it overstay it's running time? For me even in films I want to see I start getting skittish at around 2 hours...

Soldato
I saw it last night and came away pretty happy. It's not as good as the first, but I can only think of a handful of movies that are. Good pace, stunning to look at, top sound and some real tense moments. Anyone who loves good sci-fi should watch this.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that it would have been a better movie had Deckard not featured. Despite the scope of the themes and setting, the original was great because the stories were so close and personal, and Deckard's story was enough. An amazing, relatable snapshot. To stretch it out and shoe horn him into another epic tale is just too contrived - but this is a sequel and some bigger is better sequelitis was always going to happen (bums on seats!). Some random simulants that gave birth would have been believable and, imho, more impactful. As well as not detracting from the brilliant, ambiguous ending of the original. Take out Deckard, the musical fan service to Roy's death that only cheapened Joe's, and it could have been great. As things stand it's simply very good, but never close to touching:

Soldato
The moment I left the cinema I wanted to go back and watch it again, sadly I don't have that chunk of time until next week.

The soundtrack is on Spotify if anyone is interested.

I'm tempted to go back and see it again too, I don't think I've ever seen a film twice in the cinema before. I'll have to give the sound track a listen through, cheers!

Soldato
I get the feeling my comment was deleted, not because it contained a spoiler (It hardly did), but because it was contentious...

Back
Top Bottom