Bloodhound SSC enters build phase

Man of Honour
I can't help but think this is doomed to failure. We have the record already, the 1000mph thing isn't as important as being fastest ever or breaking the sound barrier to investors I suspect, not the ones who can put enough in at least. I think this (and a few other reasons) is why it has struggled to fund itself and will ultimately fail, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Soldato
I can't help but think this is doomed to failure. We have the record already, the 1000mph thing isn't as important as being fastest ever or breaking the sound barrier to investors I suspect, not the ones who can put enough in at least. I think this (and a few other reasons) is why it has struggled to fund itself and will ultimately fail, but I would love to be proven wrong.

In many ways the project has already been a success. There are people working in my office building who are only there because they were inspired by the early days of the Bloodhound project and went into engineering.

Man of Honour
In many ways the project has already been a success. There are people working in my office building who are only there because they were inspired by the early days of the Bloodhound project and went into engineering.
Well that is of course good but not really the point of the project. :)

Man of Honour

Plus it doesn’t particularly fit the whole eco movement that is going on. Stick electric power in it and watch the money roll in.

Soldato
At 1000mph i fear it will be more than just spin, probably a barrel roll or 20 and ball of flames!

yea 1000mph is just too fast, they dont stand a hope in hell if something breaks.............. at 1000mph there wont be anything left of you to scrape off the ground, i wonder what speed an airliner hits the ground nose first in a steep dive.............700mph maybe ?

Man of Honour
At 1000mph i fear it will be more than just spin, probably a barrel roll or 20 and ball of flames!

yea 1000mph is just too fast, they dont stand a hope in hell if something breaks.............. at 1000mph there wont be anything left of you to scrape off the ground, i wonder what speed an airliner hits the ground nose first in a steep dive.............700mph maybe ?

And if trains ever go faster than 30mph you'll suffocate due to the pressure of the air going past.

Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.
- Dr. Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy at University College, London.

Soldato
Not quite an appropriate comparison is it. They don’t have to pass through that transonic region, it was borderline with SSC, just can’t see it quite being fail safe enough for any minor event....

Happy to be proved wrong of course

Back
Top Bottom