Blown MacBook power adaptor

k++

k++

Associate
I was using my macbook quite heavily today whilst it was charging when I head a crack and noticed the light on the magsafe connector was off. I have changed the fuse with one I know works and the battery seems fine because the macbook runs fine.

When I enter the serial number into apples support site it shows until August for my warranty it does say that a receipt is needed for warranty validation. Unfortunately I don't have this

Would the warranty cover the blown power adaptor, and will my lack of receipt pose much of a problem.

I am unable to get to a genius bar, the nearest is in London and I live in Bristol.

Paying for a new adaptor (£59) is not really an option at the moment :(

thanks

Karl

k++

k++

Associate
OP
Just got off the phone to Apple support, they're sending a new one out and I have to send this one back with the courier.

The support was good, except I can't believe it took nearly 30 minutes to sort out :confused: I was worried at first and thought it was premium rate, but support guy said it was 6-8p p/minos not too bad.

It really says something about this forum, I actually received some helpful replies. I first posted in a mac forum and my thread was immediately buried to page 3, it happens almost every-time I post a thread, it's very difficult to get help there.

Thanks for the replies

Karl

Soldato
k++ said:
It really says something about this forum, I actually received some helpful replies. I first posted in a mac forum and my thread was immediately buried to page 3, it happens almost every-time I post a thread, it's very difficult to get help there.

Were they your posts about UT2004? :p

k++

k++

Associate
OP
are you spying on me :eek:

Yeah that's the one, a few others too that took some bumping. I made up my mind not to bother posting there again but forgot :p

k++

k++

Associate
OP
It's a great forum but unfortunately people there are more concerned with talking about apple products they want that may never exist. It's useful for product info and it's nice to dream about re-designed iMacs and mid-range towers etc but I find it more useful to lurk and read other threads than find help. It's amazing how quickly my thread for help will be buried in just a few minutes.

Soldato
Just so you know as well as the apple stores there are also apple authorised repair centers around the country which will take a look at your mac, but the courier way is the best still. I would recommend getting apple care if your not intending to upgrade your laptop soon as laptop repairs are expensive out of warrenty.

k++

k++

Associate
OP
I intend to purchase the extended warranty, I'm not sure if I could justifying the high repair costs if I didn't and I would be without a laptop.
I'm playing with the idea of purchasing the extended warranty for my iMac but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I need to decide soon because I bought it around March/April I think.

Associate
Unless you sell the Laptop before the warranty ends get some form of insurance.

Recall that AppleCare does not cover accidental damage - you may wish to look into specific laptop insurance. The AppleCare remains useful though when you come to sell it in say 2 years as it is transferrable. Apple Laptops retain very high resell value.

I have had some good and bad experiences with Apple Care over the years with my iBook. However I am glad I had it for the 4 HDD/Logic Board Replacements, and my Power Adapter. Well worth the ~150, and you can buy it any time beofre the year elapses.

k++

k++

Associate
OP
I have been tempted to sell it to be honest, but I love it to bits and have wanted a notebook for an incredibly long time. Often I wonder if it's really sensible keeping both the iMac and MacBook, especially being a bit short of cash at the moment.

When I start my third year in computer science it will be really useful, I might even invest in extra memory and run parallels for a linux distro.

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

i have apple care... i mean if were without my mac i would be screwed... its my main rig and my portable machine! fingers crossed!

k++

k++

Associate
OP
The AppleCare for my MacBook is £165, I guess it's actually a sound investment and will allow me to sell it for more if I ever need to.

The iMac warranty is £115 but if I bought both that's £275 on 2 more years of warranty :eek:

I'm not sure what to do yet

k++

k++

Associate
OP
Success :)

Received new power adaptor today, only ordered the thing yesterday. Spot on Apple :cool:

I was told it would take 5-7 days.

Associate
RESULT.

My iBook returned from AppleCare today. It was still in a state. The fans grinding, the keyboard buckled and a foot missing.

I was bizzarely over the moon. Called Apple. Free MacBook is on it's way!

Excellent.

In Conclusion - Applecare - well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom