Blue Badge scheme extended to cover "hidden disabilities"

Soldato
I had to google Harvey price at 10 years old... Can anyone really see Katie price picking up Harvey

I'm torn on the blue badge

I have IBD (another poster referenced IBS they are wholly different) When I'm flaring then a blue badge would be fantastic. However I don't think I'd use it at supermarkets it would be more beneficial to park on Double yellow next to public toilets. As an IBD sufferer I have sat in my own S*** for 8 hours until I can get to a place that is private/Home.

However i can see this being abused by a large number of idiots.. Just like motorbility cars

I feel guilty using the Disabled toilets (when I "HAVE" too)as it is despite being eligible for a RADAR key. Maybe they need a new "blue Badge" maybe a Yellow one. For a 2nd tier program.

Soldato
Fwoosh. If the child is in that state why are you taking them in to a supermarket?! Irs only going to make things even worse for them, you and everyone else. The whole point if parking at the back is for the routine that is needed so you can guarantee that same spot so they don't get in that state in the first place.

Is it just the supermarket though? What about hopsital or Dr's appointments..

Caporegime
I had to google Harvey price at 10 years old... Can anyone really see Katie price picking up Harvey

I'm torn on the blue badge

I have IBD (another poster referenced IBS they are wholly different) When I'm flaring then a blue badge would be fantastic. However I don't think I'd use it at supermarkets it would be more beneficial to park on Double yellow next to public toilets. As an IBD sufferer I have sat in my own S*** for 8 hours until I can get to a place that is private/Home.

I feel guilty using the Disabled toilets (when I "HAVE" too)as it is despite being eligible for a RADAR key. Maybe they need a new "blue Badge" maybe a Yellow one. For a 2nd tier program.

I believe Harvey has other physical disabilities though.

As for IBD and IBS sufferers, to me it's a blue badge case.
That space close to the door is what allows someone to make it to the toilet in time.
That's the difference between desecrating the cubicle and as you've said, sitting in your own crap.

Caporegime
Is it just the supermarket though? What about hopsital or Dr's appointments..

The same could be said then. If it's not essential and the child is clearly distressed then rebook or arrange a home visit.

I imagine with the infrequency if such visits they're going to be wound up anyway so I don't see again how a disabled space would help where a parent and child space wouldn't

Soldato
Hate to be that guy but I gotta question the logic of this.

I fail to see how "Cannot undertake a journey without it causing them very considerable psychological distress" is going to be fixed or even improved by being able to park 5 seconds closer to the door.

If they wanted to extend the Blue Badge program they would have been better off IMO extending cover to physically disabled people who can walk fine but can't carry their shopping or push a trolly.

Soldato

I fail to see how "Cannot undertake a journey without it causing them very considerable psychological distress" is going to be fixed or even improved by being able to park 5 seconds closer to the door.

If they wanted to extend the Blue Badge program they would have been better off IMO extending cover to physically disabled people who can walk fine but can't carry their shopping or push a trolly.

That would be my thoughts exactly don't forget there are only x number of disabled spaces they should strictly be for mobility impaired people only not people with mental issues

Caporegime

Exactly, if walking through a car park causes them distress then a busy shopping centre will be even worse. The logic is baffling.

How many parents are going to apply for a badge just so they can get priority parking because little Jimmy has autism but is otherwise fine going shopping? People who are genuinely physically disabled and struggle to walk long distances are going to suffer the most with this and that's basically what the badges were a solution for in the first place. Why does everything seem to be going backwards in the name of progress?

Soldato
This could be a TV show. "Blue Badge Street".

It would follow the lives of various blue badge holders for Joe Public to pass judgement on.

I'm sure it'd be a hit.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Exactly, if walking through a car park causes them distress then a busy shopping centre will be even worse. The logic is baffling.

How many parents are going to apply for a badge just so they can get priority parking because little Jimmy has autism but is otherwise fine going shopping? People who are genuinely physically disabled and struggle to walk long distances are going to suffer the most with this and that's basically what the badges were a solution for in the first place. Why does everything seem to be going backwards in the name of progress?

As others have said there are factors for people with ASD which means they cannot handle change. This can be extreme, I know my own kids struggle to changes to what we had told them we were going to do. Say we say we are going to the cinema and we end up going bowling for whatever reason. My non ASD kids will cope with that change easily, my ASD kids react badly to it. Im fortunate in that its relatively mild in my kids, other people need everything to be exactly as discussed to the point that it makes OCD look like a slight quirk. This can include needing to use the same parking space.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
The only thing that worries me is will everyone who has mild anxiety or depression also now apply for one? Because that's pretty much the entire nation. Myself included in that.

Its always a risk, but I can only speak for my family. With an official diagnosis we could apply for a raft of things for my kids, but they arent that severe so we have chosen not to apply for anything, as they wont genuinely benefit from it. Those who are willing to abuse the system always will, its those who are genuinely entitled who often dont claim for everything they are eligible for.

Back
Top Bottom