Blue bars down screen

Associate
I was doing some casual Facebooking, and streaming some music in the background and had the lovely experience of the screen flashing white, going black then coming up with blue and black bars down the screen (shown in image 1):

http://imgur.com/a/adITd

On rebooting I get this screen in Image 2

After booting into Safe Mode I don't get any of these problems however, so I'm wondering whether it's a software issue? I'd find that strange since I wasn't doing any Windows Updates or similar.

This is all on Windows 7, with an ATI 6800 graphics card.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Anything that results in "Artifacts" after a reboot is usally memory related to the graphics card.

I know by itself that doesn't help a huge amount but if you let it cool off and booted back up was it per chance then fine again?

If so it sounds heat related.

Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your responses. It looks knackered to be honest. I've let it all cool off over night and I'm getting the same problem this afternoon.

I'm now trying to work out how to enable the onboard graphics so I can at least get something done it until I get a new card delivered, but not having much joy.

Associate
OP
Well, I've given the outside a bit of a wipe down of any dust and I don't know how it's happened, but I've just turned the PC on again to try get into Safe Mode and everything seems to be working fine again.

Bizarre.

Could have been a blocked fan and therefore overheating like has been suggested? Will see how long it holds out.

Back
Top Bottom