BMW E39 520i SE Auto - won't go into Drive

Associate
Hi all, I noticed yesterday when I went to drive it having reversed off my driveway, I then went to put it into drive and the gear stick just wouldn't move down to drive at all. I moved it up and down between Park Neutral and Reverse a couple of times until until actually went down in to drive and off I went.

Well today it's happened again, any ideas on what this might be?

I've had no error messages or warning lights.

It's a 2001 with 183,000 miles, not in great condition but runs fine up until now, if this is gearbox/clutch replacement I'm worried it might be destined for scrap as the car is worth pretty much nothing :(

Associate
Is it something as simple as the brake light switch? Generally you have to put you foot on the brake to engage drive and if the car thinks you havent, it wont select. Does the E39 have a shift lock button to override the lock?

Soldato
Have you adjusted the steering wheel at all? I once pulled my wheel all the way out and down before for cleaning, there is a cable that is attached to gear shifter and pulling the wheel out and down all the way locked it. I had to pull the gear shift surround off and release it manually.

Mine was stuck in park though and also would not release the ignition key so not sure if it is the same issue?

Associate
OP
I've not repositioned the steering wheel at all, I've tried pumping the break several times I case the car thinks I've not got my foot on it, maybe a loose connection somewhere? In terms of gears and clutch when it's driving it's very smooth and no problems.

Soldato
Soldato
[TW]Fox;28583913 said:
Car won't start if you do that.

Hmk, just a thought on a whim as it happened some years ago on my dad's ford galaxy :D

It was something related to brake lights or so, but that's already been suggested

Soldato
Manual override? How do I do that? RTFM??

I'll have another play when I finish work, hopefully it lets me drive home!

Lift up the black plastic surrounding the gear lever (the bit with shift lights) up with a pry tool or a thin flat head screwdriver, underneath you should see a lever to the right of mechanism it is black if memory serves, pull this lever up and it should release the shifter.

[TW]Fox;28583912 said:
He can't get into Drive, manual override requires you to be in drive...

Sorry I didn't mean tiptronic mode, I meant what I posted above. I wasn't very clear. :)

Associate
OP
So I got back to my car Saturday evening got in straight into drive and all was well. Then I get back in this Sunday morning for work and it just wouldn't go into drive so I ended up having to use our other car in the end.

I'm wondering if this is a heat problem, as in it worked in the warmish evening at 7pm, but it was quite cold at 4am this morning when trying to drive it?

I did notice a clicking noise coming from the dash near the steering wheel, a bit like an indicator stalk type noise every time I tried putting it into drive.

Any ideas?

I've still not had time to try the manual override yet but I will soon.

Associate
OP
You were right, it was a problem with the gear stick being restricted from moving down. I didn't see any manual override lever, but I did notice that there was a bit of metal rod that when moved down into drive should fall into a chalice to hold it in place, well over the years the mechanisms must have loosened a little and it was slightly out of line, hitting on the mouth of the chalice. I haven't fixed it but all I have to do is nudge the stick over to the left a little when between N and D while pulling down and it pulls it back into line and slots into D.

Caporegime
Mines the opposite, it'll go from D to P without pressing in the button, it'll also select D without pressing the brake pedal, having had a look, I can't see anything wrong with the mechanism, wear and tear in guessing, it's a fairly recent development.

Back
Top Bottom