Board games for adults.....

Associate
8 Player:

7 Wonders (with expansions)
Battlestar Galactica
Shadow Hunters (can do 9 with home made pieces)
Coup (can drink while playing)

I must say Shadow Hunters is a great game with a few people and for all the times it's hit the table I've yet to pull out Resistance. I think this game just does it better.

Associate
There are in my experience no fun games for 12-14 people (Except Werewolf variants). I'd get a few different ones and split into groups of 2-3 instead - then everyone can play something to their taste as well.

Dominion is good, but as said DO NOT double up. Even at 5-6 as described in the rules it's boring as hell. 4 is max in my opinion for it to still be enjoyable.

King of Tokyo/New York is a nice quick game that I think would be excellent to bring along. Something like Zombiecide could also do very well, and it's co-op so could do well for those not enjoying conflict as much.

Spartacus I would not recommend personally - the rules as written are severely flawed (You will get combats where neither player does anything as it's suboptimal to allow the other player to strike first); and I personally absolutely detest its bribe mechanic (You can do it at any time for anything, only with gold though. It makes for very awkward and time wasting plays... like "Want to bribe me to avoid going into the arena? - Sure, have 2 gold, agreed? - Yeah, sure. *turns to next player* Want to bribe me to go into arena? - yeah, sounds good, 2 gold ok? - Yeah. *turn to first player* Guess what, you're going into the arena, vs the 4th player who refused to bribe me either way.) Just a waste of time to go through all the lying etc just to get your scemes through, and nothing is binding. Timings are very ambigious in the rules in regards to timing of cards played and bribes etc.

Twilight Imperium is pretty epic, and could do well if you have the right minded friends. I really like Chaos in the Old World otherwise for 4 players as it plays very quickly once learnt - usually takes 1-1½ hour with experienced players. Civilization the board game is also one of my real favorites.

Associate
7 Wonders is excellent.

I am currently playing Carcassonne, fantastic with a few of the expansion sets, I really recommend the catapult :)

Also just bought a game called Super Dungeon Explore. Its like a Japanese-style version of Hero Quest or Warhammer Quest. Probably one of the best games I have played in a long time.

Soldato
That reminds me, I'm looking to get a few expansions for Carcassone, I only have the base game (including The River II).

What are the best for two player and/or four player?

Will look into the catapult.

Soldato
That reminds me, I'm looking to get a few expansions for Carcassone, I only have the base game (including The River II).

What are the best for two player and/or four player?

Will look into the catapult.

Don't use the River. The only really useful expansions for Carc are Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals. The rest are all cruft.

Soldato
For 8 players, Space Cadets: Dice Duel.

Basically two teams, each team member controls certain stations on the ship (Engines, Weapons, Scanners, Shields and Tractor Beam). The Engineering dice is rolled to determine which stations can roll their die, they keep rolling until they get a result they want, then they can give their engineering die back to be rerolled and given to another station.
It all happens in realtime, so you're zooming around the map trying to make sure you are facing the correct way (Torpedoes are either front or rear loaded) have enough weapon lock to overcome the distance and the enemies jammers, then you may damage them depending on if they have shields on the side of the ship you hit.

It's incredibly frantic and can leave you exhausted after a single game, but I absolutely love it!

Soldato
One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

I took this for a weekend away with a mixed group (male/female and non-gamers/gamers) a few months a good and it was an absolute hit. Was easy to explain, games take no more than 5 minutes and everyone is involved. Couldn't recommend it enough.

It can play up to ten people at once, but given it is a short game people won't mind sitting out. Also it is a game which is almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

Soldato
+1 for Cards against humanity, however I recommend getting a few of the expansion packs to keep it interesting for longer!

Cards Against Humanity is not a game for adults, it's a game for children with driving licences. The entertainment value ends the instant you get bored of making jokes about rape and Hitler.

Soldato
Cards Against Humanity is not a game for adults, it's a game for children with driving licences. The entertainment value ends the instant you get bored of making jokes about rape and Hitler.

Have to agree there.. found it fun initially but then got boring very quickly. I'd probably enjoyed playing it at uni.

Linkee and Articulate are pretty good in big groups

Back
Top Bottom