Bodyshop job or do it myself with rattle-cans?

Soldato
Friend of ours just drove into our parked car. Scraped down the side of the rear bumper & made quite a mess in the paintwork but thankfully mostly on plastic. There was some paint bubbling on the edge of the metalwork already (12 year old Focus) and its scraped/knocked the top off that (plus to me it looks like there's a bit of a dent above there). I'm chuffing narked tbh as even though it's an aged car we've kept it in reasonable nick and, though I know it's got no resale value, we'd like to keep it going for another few years and don't want to be driving about in something that looks tatty.

I'm at work, pic below is what my wife sent me. Part of me wants to just send it straight to a bodyshop and send the bill to the friend. But she's a nice person, used to be our next door neighbour and hasn't had the easiest time these last few years so I'm tempted to crack on and have a go at sorting it myself with a skim of filler and some rattle-cans of primer/paint.

Only issues with the DIY approach are time, weather and it'd be the first time for doing anything like that. Though I am competent when it comes to DIY stuff generally and understand the theory of filling & spraying even though I've no practical experience.

16052678559_16d615d365_z.jpg

Soldato
It'll look absolutely garbage if you DIY with filler and rattle cans. Get a quote from a couple of bodyshops and politely tell your friend that since it was her mistake, it's only fair that she pays towards it.

Or pay for it yourself, whatever makes you sleep better at night, but it'll look infinitely better if it's done professionally. :)

Associate
going off the pics ive had damage similar to that on my car before and in the end I used one of those guys that come your house. his work was pretty spot on and if I remember right it only cost about £100 so might be worthwhile ringing around and getting some quotes as shouldn't be that expensive getting it done

Caporegime
Not really worth paying a body shop to sort that out on a 12 year old Focus. I have similar damage to my 12 year old Polo. I just cleaned and polished it to make it less noticeable, and left it there.

Soldato
OP
Of course she's insured. And she already said she'll pay for it. I just though I might be able to make it a bit easier by DIYing it.

And it's Ford Moondust Silver, which was about the most common ford colour through the '00s, should be a pretty straight match I'd have thought.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Attack it with some T-Cut and most of the black stuff will disappear (assuming it's paint from the other womans car), and you might be surprised at how well it comes up.

Soldato
OP
Not really worth paying a body shop to sort that out on a 12 year old Focus. I have similar damage to my 12 year old Polo. I just cleaned and polished it to make it less noticeable, and left it there.

I don't want it to look less noticeable though, I want it back as it was before. Fair enough, it wasn't pristine but it at least looked like we took care of it and gave a chuff about scratches & marks.

It may sound a bit much as 'it's only a 12yo Focus' but I'm still allowed to take pride in my car's appearance.

Caporegime
I don't want it to look less noticeable though, I want it back as it was before. Fair enough, it wasn't pristine but it at least looked like we took care of it and gave a chuff about scratches & marks.

It may sound a bit much as 'it's only a 12yo Focus' but I'm still allowed to take pride in my car's appearance.

Oh I know, I understand where you are coming from, I used to take pride in my cars appearance, but the last "little scrape" was the start of me beginning to give up on that. :p

Well if you do it yourself, it is likely to look a bit naff. I would personally go for the cheap and cheerful, yet tidy option, of picking up a rear bumper in the right colour code, from a breaker, and fitting it yourself. :)

This one for example, would look fine with a bit of a polish. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focu...Parts_SM&fits=Model:Focus&hash=item19fa0331b4

Many others here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ocus+bumper&_nkw=silver+focus+bumper&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Soldato
Its just a plastic bumper, if it looks reasonable after taking away the paint transfer you could maybe sort out the small area of metalwork yourself - if you were to do it properly it'd be two or three full panels as the car is silver.

Definitely consider a chips away type place too, might be £100 for a pretty decent repair rather than £360 for a top notch one

Caporegime
t cut it all over

sand all the flaky paint and any rust off just above the wheel arch,thin smear of filler,sand back smooth,blow it over lightly with primer/paint/clear laquer

it will look far better than it does now,even using aerosols

Soldato
Of course she's insured. And she already said she'll pay for it. I just though I might be able to make it a bit easier by DIYing it.

And it's Ford Moondust Silver, which was about the most common ford colour through the '00s, should be a pretty straight match I'd have thought.

Moondust Silver is one of the worst colours to match of pretty much any manufacturer, I learned the hard way :p

Back
Top Bottom