Boinc Pentathlon

Soldato
boinc_pentathlon2015.png

This is a competition that has been running for the past few years hosted by Seti.Germany and this is the first time OcUK has entered. It runs for 14 days from the 5th to the 19th of May.
All credits granted between 05/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

FAQ is here: http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/27_en_FAQ.html

It involves running 5 different boinc projects within the time frame, one GPU, 4 CPU, lengths of challenges vary (see below) strategy is involved in when and how much we switch resources to other projects, the projects for the challenge are yet to be announced, they will consist of...

Marathon (CPU, full 14 days) WORLD COMMUNITY GRID Leaderboard Ended, finished 18th/27
All credits granted between 05/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Sprint (CPU, 3 days) LHC@HOME Leaderboard Ended, finished 21st/27
All credits granted between 16/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Swimming (CPU, 7 days) YOYO@HOME Leaderboard Ended, finished 21st/26
All credits granted between 10/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) and 17/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

City Run (CPU, 5 days) MALARIACONTROL Leaderboard Ended, finished 20th/27
All credits granted between 07/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) and 12/05/2015, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Cross Country (GPU, 5 days) EINSTEIN@HOME Leaderboard Ended, finished 13th/27
All credits granted between 09/05/2014, 00:00 (UTC) and 14/05/2014, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Overall Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 19th/27

OcUK

Current list of team participants.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/teams.php

PARTICIPANTS

andy_taximan
Ba
Biffa
hanluc
MGP
PDW
verbal
Voicon

Pentathlon daily bulletin
http://www.seti-germany.de/wiki/Pentathlon_-_Daily_Bulletin_of_Events

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Out of the choice of GPU projects (Asteroids@home, Einstein@Home, GPUGRID, MilkyWay@home, Moo! Wrapper, PrimeGrid, SETI@home)

I was thinking Einstein as it works well both on AMD and Nvidia cards.

Then there's 3 recommendations for CPU, maybe some from the DC Vault list?

Soldato
OP
OK I've entered us, I recommended

Einstein for GPU, Numberfields, asteroids and malariacontrol for CPU, there's no guarantee any of them will be included, it's down to what's most popular amongst all the teams.

Last edited:
Associate
Are we in?

The following teams have signed up for the BOINC Pentathlon so far:

BT Retired Club (Contact person: Chris Stephens)
Gridcoin (Contact person: Quez)
L'Alliance Francophone (Contact person: Phil1966)
LITOMYSL Boinc Team Czech Republic (Contact person: jiri kovar)
Meisterkuehler.de Team (Contact person: phil68)
Overclock.net (Contact person: tictoc)
Planet 3DNow! (Contact person: unterstudienrat)
Rechenkraft.net (Contact person: Michael Weber)
SETI.Germany (Contact person: crille)
SETI.USA (Contact person: John P. Myers)
SETI@Deutschland (Contact person: Wettermann)
SETIKAH@KOREA (Contact person: SETIKAH)
Team 2ch (Contact person: Toshiaki)
TeAm AnandTech (Contact person: petrusbroder)
Team China (Contact person: zhouxiaobo)
TitanesDC (Contact person: Chulma)
[H]ard|OCP (Contact person: Coleslaw)

Soldato
OP
I've sent Ba a trust message.
PDW, Biffa are you in?

I've also had a brief look at what some of the other teams have been voting for, it looks a certainty that WCG will be included, whether that will be the marathon, sprint or whatever I've no idea. Malariacontrol is looking quite popular too. As for the GPU discipline it's looking like either Einstein or GPUGrid and possibly Milkyway

PDW

PDW

Associate
I've sent Ba a trust message.
PDW, Biffa are you in?

I've also had a brief look at what some of the other teams have been voting for, it looks a certainty that WCG will be included, whether that will be the marathon, sprint or whatever I've no idea. Malariacontrol is looking quite popular too. As for the GPU discipline it's looking like either Einstein or GPUGrid and possibly Milkyway

Count me in :)

If it turns out to be GPUGrid I won't be doing that one but I'll Fold to keep the team score up if that encourages folders to move to do GPUGrid for the duration.

Is bunkering allowed/approved of ?

Just keep us updated on what you want and when !

PS. Have you moved house ? You now show as International in Van Der Waerden Numbers.

Soldato
OP
Count me in :)
Great stuff! :)
If it turns out to be GPUGrid I won't be doing that one but I'll Fold to keep the team score up if that encourages folders to move to do GPUGrid for the duration.

I really hope it's not GPUGrid myself as I only have a couple of old 570s, we did have quite a strong team on there but it just seems to be HaloJones on his own now. I'm going to start hitting Einstein to build up some pending credit and hope it's that one that gets chosen and likewise with WCG and Malaria for the CPU projects.

Is bunkering allowed/approved of ?
Yes, well it's not disallowed/disapproved of, many teams in past pentathlons have done this.
Just keep us updated on what you want and when !
I will, as soon as the projects are announced I'll let you all know, as for strategy I supposed it depends on how well we're doing when/if we switch projects, we can decide amongst ourselves.

PS. Have you moved house ? You now show as International in Van Der Waerden Numbers.

Haha, no, I didn't noticed, amended. That project sure does use a lot memory, 2 gigs a core by my reckoning.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I really hope it's not GPUGrid myself as I only have a couple of old 570s, we did have quite a strong team on there but it just seems to be HaloJones on his own now. I'm going to start hitting Einstein to build up some pending credit and hope it's that one that gets chosen and likewise with WCG and Malaria for the CPU projects.

Someone on the challenge site said projects will be announced late tonight ? So I'll wait till at least then before switching anything over.

You also mentioned Milkyway and I haven't touched that one yet so no idea what it likes or how best to run it.

Haha, no, I didn't noticed, amended. That project sure does use a lot memory, 2 gigs a core by my reckoning.

Yes, it does need a lot. Just running on 1 core on my laptop during the day and then I kill Firefox and let it run 2 cores overnight. Laptop has 6Gb as well :eek:

Associate
How are we going to work this, do you want all my CPU's on WCG or spread out across others. Not done this before so not sure how the team works it?

Soldato
OP
How are we going to work this, do you want all my CPU's on WCG or spread out across others. Not done this before so not sure how the team works it?

I thought we could play it by ear, at the moment the only project confirmed is WCG, so that currently is the only one to go for, I've switched my rigs over to it in hope that some of the work units pending now validate when the challenge starts, remember only works units validated in the time period count. If any other projects are confirmed before the start we can have a rethink, I am convinced that malariacontrol will happen, but when and for how long I don't know. Also if we are dead last, cut off from everyone else on a project then there's no point flogging a head horse, so that would be a scenario where we could all switch.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought we could play it by ear, at the moment the only project confirmed is WCG, so that currently is the only one to go for, I've switched my rigs over to it in hope that some of the work units pending now validate when the challenge starts, remember only works units validated in the time period count. If any other projects are confirmed before the start we can have a rethink, I am convinced that malariacontrol will happen, but when and for how long I don't know. Also if we are dead last, cut off from everyone else on a project then there's no point flogging a head horse, so that would be a scenario where we could all switch.

Flogging dead horses makes them more tender, just like steak

Fired up 2 machines on WCG , will turn the "beast" on it nearer the time as im having fun folding on it atm lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom