Booked on a guided trip and ive just been asked for an extra $1000 - moral point if view required

Soldato
Guys need some moral advice here.

So I booked on a fishing trip to Mexico in January next year through an American tour operator who I have no doubt are genuine . It's effectively a shop that runs tours and have done for 20 years with no issues .

However their partner in Mexico have had a mandatory tax rate applied of 16% and upped there rates on top of this. Now the tour was $3895 ( 50% paid by CC in March ) and has in increased by $1000dollars to $4895 with the balance due by October .

It's a 25.6% increase ! Hardly small potatoes but is affordable .

They have offered a full refund however I've paid for a premium economy flight to Cancum with BA that is non refundable. I'll call my insurer today and see what they say but I don't hold out much hope .

If I could cancel now with no financial penalty I most certainly would , could you imagine Jet 2 or Tui calling up Mr Jo es and saying yes your weeks holiday in Greece is going ahead but we need 25.6% more !

I think it's a case of suck it up buttercup and pay the $1000 /£770.

Your thoughts suggestions please?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not much thoughts possible I don't think?

Either suck up the extra, try to cancel via insurance. You may have a legal case somehow if they didn't offer a refund but as they have I think it might be difficult?

How much was the flight?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not much thoughts possible I don't think?

Either suck up the extra, try to cancel via insurance. You may have a legal case somehow if they didn't offer a refund but as they have I think it might be difficult?

How much was the flight?
Think your going to be right here Begbie

Flight was £990 plus I paid £80 for seat selection.

There's an outside chance the trip could get cancelled anyway as the whole party will have to agree to the price increase ( currently 9 ) . There will be a number where it dosnt work for the operator so they will cancel and then hopefully my insurance kicks in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think your going to be right here Begbie

Flight was £990 plus I paid £80 for seat selection.

There's an outside chance the trip could get cancelled anyway as the whole party will have to agree to the price increase ( currently 9 ) . There will be a number where it dosnt work for the operator so they will cancel and then hopefully my insurance kicks in.
Sounds like they have more to lose than you? 9 folk on a fishing trip is a lot of cash they'll lose out on?

Associate
do you still need to use that tour operator you have your flights already sorted can you not find something else cheaper and ditch that american tour operator ?

Back
Top Bottom