Bookshelf upgrade

Soldato
Got a bit of a hankering for an upgrade. I'm running a pair of Quad 11Ls off a Naim Nait 5i(2) at the moment. With a Thorens TD160 and Arcam CD62 as sources.

I do like the Quads but would like something with a bit more punch and the Nait can do better.

Been idly looking around, and some older stuff like B&w CD 1NT, or perhaps 805s are catching my eye, always wanted to try some nautilus speakers.....although the unimaginitive choice is probably the Kef Ls50, while I'm sure they're great, seems rather boring, and I kinda prefer going second hand when it comes to audio and buying stuff I lusted after when I couldn't afford it :p

Any curveballs to consider?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
B&W...bleh...LS50 overhyped..

Maybe add a sub? High passing would help too since those are tiny little speakers. Or if you're looking for upgrade maybe one of the higher end Fyne standmounts?

Not much low end on those quads

No subs, I live in a terrace. I do want a bit more low end, but not so much I can't raise the volume at all without annoying the neighbours.

Never listened to Fyne, relatively new by the looks? Styling is a bit crap and I prefer buying used to get more bang for buck.
Linn ninkas? S/h they're a lot more affordable
I have a pair of house rabbits so floorstanders are out. Need to be raised off the floor on indestructible metal stands :p

Soldato
Reading the post you are clearly hankering after the b&w’s so if I were you I’d just buy them! You are shopping second hand so if they disappoint then you’ll get almost all your money back anyway. The brand seems to have become a bit marmite these days for some reason but I’ve never been disappointed with their speakers especially when paired with a less punchy amp.

Soldato
Reading the post you are clearly hankering after the b&w’s so if I were you I’d just buy them! You are shopping second hand so if they disappoint then you’ll get almost all your money back anyway. The brand seems to have become a bit marmite these days for some reason but I’ve never been disappointed with their speakers especially when paired with a less punchy amp.

Because they have an inaccurate house sound, V shaped, aggressive on the top end. I found bass to be quite bloomy also.

Soldato
OP
I have just been eyeing up more 805's. They do tick all my boxes and as you say, buying used is zero risk really as long as you don't overpay.

I've had B&W in the past so I know the sound, had 600 S3 surround setup back in the day. I listen to a lot of electronic music which suits them too.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Assuming standmounts, how about:
- Acoustic Energy AE1s. One option being to go active and drop the Nait
- Wilson Benesch. I really like their stand mounts, though I’ve no idea if they’re in budget, even s/h

Soldato
OP
AE1s are available passive, and WB Arcs can be found for just over £1k.
The AE1s aren't really doing it for me looks wise and the Arcs don't appear to to deliver the bass impact I'm after.

Yes I know, it's the sound that matters but if I'm spending thousands of pounds on some wooden boxes to sit in my living room they need to be nice looking wooden boxes. Wood finish rather than black.

805s are still top of the list but it's hard to decipher all the different variants and figure what a good price is.

Nautilus 805
Signature 805
805S
805 D(2/3/4/ etc).

There's a minty pair of 805s near me but £1500 is too steep, might stick a low ball offer in.

Soldato
OP
I have found a somewhat leftfield option that I may pull the trigger on, if I can find a way to get delivery before the bank holiday. Hmm...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Definitely left field, but interesting with it.
Castle used to make TL speakers. A relative of mine owning a pair of their Winchesters.
I see that they're not amazingly efficient, and probably need some "balls" to control the bass.

All the same, looks fun. Do keep us posted.

Soldato
OP
Definitely left field, but interesting with it.
Castle used to make TL speakers. A relative of mine owning a pair of their Winchesters.
I see that they're not amazingly efficient, and probably need some "balls" to control the bass.

All the same, looks fun. Do keep us posted.
Yes I think my Nait is going to end up being upgraded to something with a bit more grunt....got it a good price so probably make a profit on that one.

Quite interested in the Advance Paris A10 or Nad 3050.....I wouldn't mind consolidating the Rega Fono and POS 10quid DAC I have connecting the TV optical into something with a decent phono stage and servicable DAC.

Back
Top Bottom