Boot Device detection error!!

Associate
Hi.

Every now and then I get this error when starting or restarting my PC. It happens when detecting the IDE drives:

Warning: Boot device has changed.

BBS boot priority will be affected. please enter setup to check.

:confused:

Sometimes I can just reset and all is fine but othertimes I will have to manually go into the BIOS and re-detect each of the drives.

My system is as follows:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Abit AN8 Ultra
2gb Geil Ram
GeForce 7800 GT

Drives:

Hitachi Deskstar 250GB SATA II
Western Digital 80GB
Maxtor 40GB
Lite-On DVD SOHD-16P9S
LG Dual Layer DVD Writer

Any help would be appreciated.

~M~

Soldato
I get this sometimes - usually if the PC has crashed due to me messing around with my GPU clocks lol :D

Is your computer shutting down properly?
All cables plugged in correctly?
Are the Master/Slave relationships on your IDE channels setup correctly?

SiriusB

Associate
OP
Hi...

PC shuts down fine and hopefully the cables are in properly :eek:

Not too sure about the Master/Slave relationships. How would I check that?

Thanks for the reply :)

Soldato
If you have two devices on one IDE channel [same cable] then one has to be set to Master and the other Slave. On the back of the device [HDD or CD/DVD-ROM] there should be a set of jumpers and a little diagram showing which position does what.

As long as one device is set in the Master position and the other Slave you should be okay. To be honest this is a long shot because I suspect you would have a different set of problems if you had two Masters or two Slaves on the same channel.

SiriusB

Associate
Open the case,check,reseat and firmly press in the ide connection cables,maybe you got one loose moving case or adding some hardware,its easy done.
You could also try new ide cable/s.
Is bios settings ok too? (they`re not resetting to an old date or cmos defaults,which might change your boot device) in which case it could be battery if you removed that and when reseated its not touching terminals correctly.
That happened to me and moving the small pins that touch it closer fixed it.

Soldato
coor i had this with my abit AA8 with a mix of SATA and IDE (i thought my new SATA raptor had died at first). it was about 18 months ago and i think i set in the bios: onchip IDE device/onchip Serial ATA to 'enhanced mode' from the default 'auto mode', then i assigned the drive boot priority again and it worked fine ever since.

i would have to reboot to be sure but my pc's busy atm and can't be shut down. when i get a chance i'll have a look and will report back.. it may not be 'till tomorrow morning though. meanwhile have a look at your mobo manual/bios as you may be able to suss it beforehand.

Soldato
i've just had a quick look at your AN8 ultra manual, i can't find the option on your mobo.

although it's not going to be of any real help i'll explain my cause just incase: here's my, AA8 manual, section 3-17 top of the page. note how the IDE's can change depending on the mode. on auto it didn't seem to stable at identifying the correct mode and so the IDE#'s often got changed when booting up.

:(

Back
Top Bottom