Boot/Footware question

Soldato
I've been using the bike to get t o my weekend job, and have started using a rucksack to transport my gear. I wear steel toecaps for this job, and currently put them in the bottom of my bag, but I'm looking to reduce the weight of the rucksack. Is there any reason *NOT* to wear these on the bike instead of my dedicated riding boots?
These are my riding feetware and a pic of my work boots. Ta for any advie :)

CyCLjXK.png

1vBA6pV.png

Man of Honour
I think the old myth is if you come off and catch them wrong then the cap could bend back and chop your toes off but in the real world no not really as long as you can still manage to change gear ok in them

Associate
I wear my work high leg steelies when I ride to/from work. I could keep my work boots in my locker at work, but that would just wear out my Sidis quicker. Work boots are free! I hadn't heard of/considered what @tom_e had mentioned, but one thing I'm meticulous about is tucking the bootlaces inside the boots when tied. I'm paranoid about the laces getting caught on the pegs and not being able to get a foot down resulting in a broken leg and bike.

Associate
Wearing my Caterpillar work boots right now which i rode to work in this morning. Probably give me more protection than my TCX. Tuck your laces in though :)

Soldato
Yea, they're not uncomfortable for a short while, but a work shift can be as long as 13 hours on my feet. The other thing is that my riding boots aren't safety capped like my work boots. I think I'll try a pootle about at the weekend in my work boots, see how they go.

Oh ok, no I was just asking for myself more than anything, need a pair I can walk around in, mine are.....ok..... But not ideal

Soldato
I wear my Dewalt work steelies more than I wear my dedicated motorbike boots. I think the main thing is that they are stout and durable. Wouldn't be wearing trainers etc.

Man of Honour
Having been knocked off my bike last year (I'll give more details when my injury claim is settled) I would never wear either of those. They simply don't offer enough protection.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Having been knocked off my bike last year (I'll give more details when my injury claim is settled) I would never wear either of those. They simply don't offer enough protection.
I 2nd this after having my foot dragged under the bike for a few meters, if I hadn't had my full boots on, I would most likely become an amputee now... Get a pair of shoes to change into, not worth the risk imho.

Associate
100% agree with Hades. For my accident (still not settled), I ended up with my right foot trapped under the bike. The engine block of a Gen 2 Hayabusa sat on top of my ankle for around 30+ minutes because the priority for the 999 guys was 1) cut my gear off, 2) get the IV painkillers in, 3) wait for the painkillers to work, 4) move the bike without dislodging the broken left leg and risking internal bleeding. I had full ankle protection from my boots.

Now imagine that in your work boots. Don’t do it to yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom