boot in dosfrom start up ?

Associate
It beena long time sinse i did it so forgot. i have a problem when trying to use windows xp repair that it maybe did repair it then reinstall how ever when its installing it will say about somesoftwere on my disk andsay windows wont support it yes or no do you wantto use it but matter which 1 i choose yes or no after a few seconds it reboots and wont install so it will not install at all and i cant get it to install as it keeps restarting.

Anyway how do i from starting up my pc how do i get itto dos or something so i can formatthe disk and start again as windows keeps rebooting part the way through reisntall and i really need to format the disk :S. i cant get into windows as i said socant gothere so need to get somewhere i can format it.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a hardware problem. Can you please type that again with the spaces in the right place?

ok dorry yes i was abit to fast an panicing lol.

OK i decided i needed to do a resintall due to problems with my pc but when rebooting thisi s xp btw. Anyway with rebooting i decided to try repair instead of complete reinstall. Anyway during the install it stops ate 1 point to say 2 things have notbeen checked by windows. These are webcammax and another program icurrently forgot. It says would you like to install them or not and yes or no. Anyway after you hit ether of these it will stop after a wile then it will reboot. Noweach time it boots up it will go to installign windows then ask the same and repeat. What i need to do is find a way to start again. I want to start with all the questions again and do a full install aswell as Format the drive 1st to remove all softwere. But i need to somehow format my disk from booting up as i am unable to get to windows :S. Could a way of doing this be ether get to some menu in bios or maybe if i disconnect the HD and its power then try to install on just 1 disk or something ?.

Associate
OP
Just start up the computer from the CD and choose the option not to repair. Then when it asks what drive you want to install onto select format ntfs (quick). Done, wiped. :)

It wont let me because i chose repair it will now skip allthe options at the start it gave me before and it will install. it wont let me click new install, repair or anything. at the moment igot my spare amd3000+ with a Gf5800 or somethign and 256mb or ram :S. so for now guess it will ahve to do lol. getting new pc soon sowith any hope will ix the old 1 so i got even more back up. i need to get backto the 1st options of pickign what i want to do but its not letting me :S.

Associate
It wont let me because i chose repair it will now skip allthe options at the start it gave me before and it will install. it wont let me click new install, repair or anything.

You are booting from the CD aren't you? You should see a line saying

Press Any Key To Boot From CD . . .

With the full-stops slowly incrementing.

If you're not pressing a key the system will boot from the HDD and continue installation.

at the moment igot my spare amd3000+ with a Gf5800 or somethign and 256mb or ram :S. so for now guess it will ahve to do lol. getting new pc soon sowith any hope will ix the old 1 so i got even more back up.

If you still find you are unable to re-install Windows, remove the HDD from the current system, pop it in your spare one and format it in Windows as you would any normal drive.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i have sorted the problem i did forget to set the bios so that it will boot from CD 1st then i got the options i managed to do it all :). Sadly my problem with msn still exists it just wont sign in :S.

Back
Top Bottom