Booting Problem

Associate
Hey everyone,

I posted this question aaages ago, but since then, i have upgraded my hardware, and I am still facing the same issue.

When i power on my pc, the lights come on, the fans start up and everything, but after 5 seconds it switches itself off and after about 10 seconds it starts back up by itself and sometimes boots into windows. Also, if i shutdown after a successful boot and immediately switch it back on, it does so perfectly without switching off and on again.

I have tried changing the power supply, changing ram around and changing hard drives about, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Blinghound

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll try that. Its just it doesnt even get to the mobo logo, let alone POST, ive tried reseting overclock settings as well, but it still wudn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Well looking at your specs...3.4GHz is quite a reasonable overclock which would need a decent amount of Vcore (Im at 3.6GHz with a 1.5v Vcore) and a good amount of northbridge voltage too.

I found that my problem was caused by my RAM though, turns out i needed more northbridge voltage to cope with the extra RAM i put in.

Hope this helps, its one of those things you will need to keep playing with. But try restoring defaults before you overclock anymore just to make sure that is the problem.

Associate
OP
dude, I tried resetting all BIOS options to default (no overclock whatsoever) and I still get the same problem. Do you reckon it could be a faulty mobo?

Then again it's weird how it sometimes starts up and runs for hours after rebooting itself.

Soldato
By setting all the settings to default did you also still set your voltages manually? Other than that i would suggest reseating your CPU.

Something like that is hard to diagnose though without seeing it and playing around with components. Even if you send back the motherboard its not guaranteed they will get the same results.

Associate
OP
that's interesting rodo, I havn't heard of this, I've searched through the manual and I cudnt find anything about it, is there any other way to find out?

and BuzZz i tried setting the voltages manually and automatically, but it didn't make any difference, I will try reseating the cpu though.

Thanks a lot everyone

Associate
OP
Hey, I have been fiddling around for ages and it seems clear the CMOS it stops doing it :D, but as soon as I overclock, it starts again.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to figure out which option causes this problem? Because the p5Q-pro is filled with tonnes of settings, and I still havnt found which one is the culprit.

Could it be lack of northbridge voltage BuzZz?

Thanks a lot for any response

Soldato
lol. I get the PC powering up, down and then up again (sometimes) with the same MB.
Mine is o'c from 2.9 to 4.0 (stable) but it never fails to boot, just accasionally powers down and then up again after a few secs.
I'm interested to see if anyone knows the cause although it's no issue to me. :D

Caporegime
Are you switching the system off at the mains by any chance? As rodo has mentioned above, some boards do a precheck before proceeding to boot, i ran a p5q deluxe a while back with an overclocked q9550, anytime after being disconnected from the mains it would perform this double boot, by powering down via the start menu and leaving the mains plug on, the system would boot first time on pressing the power button.

Associate
OP
I think you may be right setter. :) If i shutdown from windows and reboot, or restart from windows, it will boot straight back up. It's only until I turn off the mains or leave it for a long time it does it. It's just strange since it doesn't mention it anywhere in the manual or online.

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom