Borderlands (2024)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Looks like the Borderlands movie is finally making its way to the big screen.

Cast

Cate Blanchett as Lilith
Kevin Hart as Roland
Jack Black as Claptrap
Jamie Lee Curtis as Dr. Patricia Tannis
Ariana Greenblatt as Tiny Tina
Florian Munteanu as Krieg
Haley Bennett
Edgar Ramírez as Atlas
Bobby Lee as Larry
Olivier Richters as Krom
Janina Gavankar as Commander Knoxx
Gina Gershon as Mad Moxxi
Cheyenne Jackson as Jakobs
Charles Babalola as Hammerlock
Benjamin Byron Davis as Marcus
Steven Boyer as Scooter
Ryann Redmond as Ellie

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like the Borderlands movie is finally making its way to the big screen.

Did see a older thread that was posted years ago but that was linked to another project written by Aaron Berg.

Edit - My mistake it is the same production. Happy for this thread to closed and we can use the original thread from 2016 if people prefer.

Does the movie have looooot?

• Haha
Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
If there is no lootsplosion we riot. The poster for this looks....like the casting is as dreadful as we all thought it would be. I'll give it a chance though.

People are hating on it already, as always we wont know until we see proper footage. The Trailer drops tomorrow so will update when it does. Its doubtful they would do the game justice but here's hoping.

Last edited:
Associate
Dunno. Not going to judge it before viewing obviously, but it'll be tough to spin a coherent narrative yarn out of such a mixed bag of source material.

Anthony Burch did the best writing for the series in BL2 and the episodes he wrote in the Telltale series but by the looks of things he's not even been consulted for this.

Just hope they tone down some of the jockish humor. I love those games too death despite their faults, but that stuff was never for me. The narrative was at it's best when it exploited the setting and whacky themes to enrich the world building. Some of the twists really where quite inventive.

Edit: Just seen that it's directed by Eli Roth. I'm going to be sick in my mouth. They got Tim Miller in to do reshoots, why not just hire him in the first place? Seems a far better fit to me.

Last edited:
Associate
At least it does look like it's set an unspecified time in the future so the casting might not necessarily be too bad (age wise), although regardless of age I still don't think Cate Blanchett will be a good fit for the role, I'd like to be proven wrong through so I'll still check it out

Last edited:
Caporegime
Everything that isn't the main cast looks pretty good. Hart and Blanchett are just hilariously miscast. Tina seems nothing like her game character and I'm not entirely sure why they'd choose to use Krieg over Brick or Mordecai. Black should be ok as Claptrap maybe but Jamie Lee Curtis looks alright as Tannis but doesn't seem nearly unhinged enough.

It's also a bold move not to use the most popular Borderlands villain. Maybe they're hoping they can save that for a sequel but I'd be shocked if this does well enough to get one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think this movie would have been better with less known cast. The blonde girl seems the most fitting, Jack Black as the robot looks funny from the trailer but that's just his voice. Blanchett and Hart though, really really not sure. I think that's a miscast, that is from someone who never played Borderlands so I don't have any expectations of the character.

Caporegime
This'll be a wait to streaming job I think for me.

Can't remember last time I watched a trailer from a franchise I love and thought "meh"

Last edited:
Soldato
I have far too many hours in Borderlands 2 - BL3 just didn't work for me. Lilith and Tina are much older than in Borderlands 2, much less Borderlands 1, and suspending disbelief for the romance between Roland and Lilith is going to be difficult. I see they've made Hammerlock black and much younger and gender-switched General Knoxx.

I do question why they didn't go for Handsome Jack as the villain. He's one of the all-time video game greats.

Associate
Just watched the trailer on imdb
I know nothing about borderlands the game, so don't know what the chars are meant to be based on.
I thought it looked alright, bit of a GOTG vibe maybe

Back
Top Bottom