Boris Johnson is considering a trade in price of £6K for an EV

Soldato
I'm not sure I would agree that goverment is not willing and able to expand infrastructure in line with increased sales. it's not rocket science. Takes a couple of days to install a charger.
How long does it take to plan out the infrastructure installation in a medium-sized town, though?
How long does it take to gather resources, do all the paperwork, agree all the site schedules, print up and drop leaflets advising the local residents of when their roads will be shut and when they should not park on their streets?
How long does it take to co-ordinate all those resources and contractors, effect effective logistics, get everything where it should be and when?
How long does it take to go back and do all the bits you couldn't do because some self-entitled ******** residents think parking suspensions don't apply to them?

If it were that simple, they'd have put all that in already and be using it as another point to push the EV - "See, charging facilities already in place everywhere. It's so easy to make the switch", and such...

Is this going to be like the scrappage scheme of a decade ago where thousands of still perfectly serviceable vehicles are destroyed in the name of "environmentalism", do we think?

In all for electric vehicles but if that's the case, it could be an enormous waste.
Brand as a 'green' event when it is purely to stimulate car sales.
It would be a shame to scrap perfectly good cars. I really don't think electric vehicles achieve anything overall, but they will solve inner city smog as you're guffing out all the crap elsewhere.

Soldato
Brand as a 'green' event when it is purely to stimulate car sales.
It would be a shame to scrap perfectly good cars. I really don't think electric vehicles achieve anything overall, but they will solve inner city smog as you're guffing out all the crap elsewhere.

What crap exactly? Also even if the grid were 100% coal it'd still be more beneficial to have electric cars as due to the efficiencies of scale as power stations are way more efficient than individual cars. A bit like a diesel train produces more emissions than a car but as you're taking 300 people the emissions per person are far less.

Have you seen how clean our grid is getting? We've not burnt any coal for power production since the end of March, that's by far the longest since before the industrial revolution.

Associate
How long does it take to plan out the infrastructure installation in a medium-sized town, though?

I can't quite work out if you are annoyed that there is too much investment in infrastructure, or too little...

Are you sure infrastructure investment is falling behind sales growth? Just anecdotally, chargers seem to be popping up all over the place near me. But happy to be corrected.

There have been announcements of increased investment since this report was published.... it's a trendy thing for Goverments to invest in.

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/739460/road-to-zero.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't quite work out if you are annoyed that there is too much investment in infrastructure, or too little...
Neither. Just arguing the case from the perspective of the other poster who raised the issue.

As is, most EV owners at work do complain that infrastructure is way behind anything even remotely supportive of EV adoption. Given that we're very much in the thick of such an industry, I reckon they'd know more about it than most.
So if you want to tie it down precisely - I'm of the understanding that there is far too littl einfrastructure investment to support EVs... but I'm not especially annoyed about it. Just surprised that they haven't pushed ahead with that in order to encourage more sales.

Are you sure infrastructure investment is falling behind sales growth?
Yup.
One of our customers biggest complaints is how we never invest in the infrastructure. We had some lovely profits from the last period, so we wanted (and really needed) to invest £12 billion - The government and regulator argued that 3 billion was more than adequate. 14 months later and several high-risk failures, we're still fighting the point.

Just anecdotally, chargers seem to be popping up all over the place near me. But happy to be corrected.
You'll see a few here and there round our way, too... but I couldn't tell you where a single one is. I can think of only one location (a park & ride) where one might be... and I know there's a place near Maple Cross with three charge points, because the EV owners say they're always broken.

Our works fleet is meant to be going electric and we already have dozens of vehicles in full-time operation, but I can't tell you which sites have the charge points that suposedly came with the vehicles.

There have been announcements of increased investment since this report was published.... it's a trendy thing for Goverments to invest in.
That doesn't mean it's enough... Compared to last period (we work in 5-year cycles), they've 'increased' their investment in our stuff too, by half a BILLION pounds... which sounds really impressive to the plebs and media scum, until you find they're still nine billion short.

Soldato
What has that go to do with lack of charging points? Why try and change the subject? What is the weekly mileage of the average driver on Guernsey, according to the traffics and highway services it is less than 4,000 per year, or 76 miles per week. If you were daft enough to buy a Telsa Model 3 long range you could charge it roughly once every three weeks.
My point was there a hell lot of car usage for the size of the island roads where i don't feel 2 or 4 charging points is any where near enough if lots of people change to electric cars over here and most people i know only have on street parking so would not be able to charge at home

Soldato
Latest:

EbqeDcEXQAA-Gph

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/352302/exclusive-no-plans-new-uk-car-scrappage-scheme

Soldato
It would make sense to introduce an EV scrappage scheme after lockdown considering we’ve been enjoying the benefits of cleaner air. I’ll hold off swapping my car just in case!

Back
Top Bottom