• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Both RX Vega 64 & 56 Beat GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

Permabanned
I only care about the 4K results, there Nvidia looks good.

It's spun on it's head there, Usually you expect AMD's big gpu's to do better comparitively in the higher res than they do in the lower res's, As already mentioned it'll be interesting to see how these gpu's compare in a few upcoming titles like Wolfy 2.

Soldato
Thing is why when a next generation consoles get released its expected for new release title to not show the consoles full capability. So why when a new GPU line up is released are we all expecting out the door numbers?
We all known AMD does better over time, the more devs get used to the hardware the more gains we see. Hell just look at how long my R9290 4GB card did me at 1440p excellent buy. Could have easily got longer also.

This FineWine stuff we hear I believe it's more devs getting more understanding of the GPU.
Vega will be no different I firmly believe that come a year or two RX vega will still be playing game while GTX 10 series will fade away so who really wins? Nvidia for the short run or AMD for the long run? :p

Before everyone rips apart the RX Vega shouldn't you be a least waiting for games build with Vega in mind? Silly to question it's performance on dated titles tbh

Associate
Is this game still running on one thread?
Reason I ask is we know Nvidia is more CPU heavy so in the lower resolutions this is the bottleneck. This can be seen at UHD when the performance swings the other way as the game is more GPU bound. Once it's better optimised I doubt this benchmark will still be the same.
Josh.

Associate
Silly to question it's performance on dated titles tbh

How is it silly? Because they're older they don't deserve the hardware to run it effectively? Balls to anyone that might enjoy playing those older games? AMD are only interested in providing hardware for software that doesn't exist yet and that will be obsolete by the time it does it seems.

Soldato
How is it silly? Because they're older they don't deserve the hardware to run it effectively? Balls to anyone that might enjoy playing those older games? AMD are only interested in providing hardware for software that doesn't exist yet and that will be obsolete by the time it does it seems.

I mean it's silly to gudge a new GPU on its performance based on old titles that was not around when the GPU was released.
Gudge it on titles that have been built with Vega in mind.
Performance will still be decent enough on older titles to enjoy the card.

Soldato
I mean it's silly to gudge a new GPU on its performance based on old titles that was not around when the GPU was released.

Really all you can judge a gpu you on is whats games are available atm, Waiting for games to be released that may or may not use the gpus power in some otherway is madness and akin to pre ordering something with no idea how it preforms

Associate

If the GPU didn't exist at the time then surely it has failed if it can't make current software work at its peak, since AMD should know exactly what's on the table. You say it should be judged on software built with Vega in mind, but Vega should have been built with current programs in mind.

Soldato
If the GPU didn't exist at the time then surely it has failed if it can't make current software work at its peak, since AMD should know exactly what's on the table. You say it should be judged on software built with Vega in mind, but Vega should have been built with current programs in mind.

Then how do you expect the industry to move forward? If GPU are not pushing for new features then we simple dont move forward.. AMD and Nvidia creating new GPU features allows devs to play around with and push things forward.
You can not expect a new GPU to work to its full capability on its release, they is also a reason why consoles dont always have backwards playback! Its because them games have been designed to the full potential of that hardware..
GPUs are no different!!

Associate

Umm, current hardware from both camps at 1080 P run current games just fine, its the 4K ultra warriors that whinge but what they don't seem to realise devs won't optimise these settings until theres a bigger userbase with better hardware, the features we are seeing are likely just features trickling down from the console port and looking at the XB1X, this is obvious considering if you look at whats done under the hood of that machine.

Soldato
You missing the point :p
RX vega needs support from developers to get the most out of the GPU.
So basically, any game on the market currently won't work as well as it could because it was never developed with Vega specific instruction, and 99% of the games made going forward won't work as well as they could either because the devs won't spend the extra for Vega specific code paths.

So basically the same situation every AMD GPU has faced for the last decade lol.

Soldato
So basically, any game on the market currently won't work as well as it could because it was never developed with Vega specific instruction, and 99% of the games made going forward won't work as well as they could either because the devs won't spend the extra for Vega specific code paths.

So basically the same situation every AMD GPU has faced for the last decade lol.

Correct to some degree and will explain why on paper AMD GPUs tend to have the better spec! than Nvidia but also under perform and why some games when coded for AMD work just has well match for match GPUs.. The big change for AMD this time around compared to last 5 or so years is the platform they are building! This eco system of Console and PC features puts AMD in a much better situation! Devs building games for the new Xbox DX12 features will easy transfer over to the PC version of the game hence why Forza 7 and even other Windows 10 store games performance is very good on AMD!
I dont think Nvidia can do much about any of this without splashing the cash and stopping games using the AMD features! Tomb Raider is a perfect example console version using Async compute only for the PC version DX12 to have it missing! Reeks of Nvidia foul play... Obviously they no proof for this but Nvidia have been known to foul play in the past why not now also :D
I honestly see a good future for RX GPUs and future titles.

Man of Honour
Vega will be no different I firmly believe that come a year or two RX vega will still be playing game while GTX 10 series will fade away

True except the most likely scenario is nVidia will have a new round of GPUs out that are significantly faster than Pascal while people on the AMD side of the fence are having to make do with last generation cards that are about mid-range performance as in the position of the 290X today.

The only winners are those lucky enough to have bought specific cards at specific price points that get some good milage out of them.

The other problem is developers will probably not bother with Vega specific optimisations once new cards are out and/or as they get older and newer revisions of APIs are released, etc.

Soldato
this is great except dx12 isnt really relevant in the PC games industry, its only exclusively used by microsoft who are one publisher out of many.

I dont think this is all down to the games been dx12, but probably a big factor that the games heavily optimised for the xbox one which utilises AMD hardware.

Back
Top Bottom