Bottleneck/PSU/molex adapter questions.

Associate
I'll get straight to it, I want to upgrade my GPU to something along the lines of HD 6870/GTX 560. And want to make sure 1. it wont be bottlenecked 2. my PSU can handle it and 3. Kind of goes along with 2...

So here are my specs:
CPU: x2 Intel Xeon 5150's @ 2.66ghz (standard clocks)
RAM: 6gb 667MHZ DDR2
MOBO: HP 0A04h
PSU: 575w (not a brand name PSU, comes with the PC)

If you haven't figured it out my computer is an old HP server/workstation.

And the third question is would it be safe to use a 6 pin splitter (as in turns one 6 pin molex into two) to power the card?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed anything or this is difficult to understand I am beyond tired right now.

Associate
OP
I'd be more inclined to buy a lesser GPU than buy a new PSU. I don't mind sticking a fairly powerful GPU in this because when I get a new PC I can take the card out buy another and SLI/Crossfire 'em. But I can't buy a higher end PSU right now and buying a 500w one seems like somewhat of a waste because it wouldn't be powerful enough to run two cards.

So I just need to figure out which would be the best card to get without bottlenecking my computer.

Soldato
You really need to look at the +12v rail specifications on your current PSU. Giving us a model number would help, or better yet a picture of the sticker on the PSU.

It's great saying that you'll stick with the PSU but if it can't run a new GPU or blows up taking everything with it a week later you'll wish you hadn't said that.

Associate
OP
Funny you say that I thought about taking a picture of it when I started this thread :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
img07541m.jpg

That should be better...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, given it has got a total of 46amp's on the +!2v (4 rails) and it's a delta unit (Not a bad OEM) I'd say you'll be ok.

Obviously when you have the extra funds for a better PSU - get one. But for now it'll be fine with a 560ti or 7850 (I'd recommend the latter).

Back
Top Bottom