BOTW Weekly Results Round U - UK REVERSE round

Even though my can said 'Carling Brewery - Burton upon Trent'?

Yes it's Molson Coors but it's made in the UK and marketed as a British Beer.

If we want to get really picky Budweiser is Anheuser-Busch InBev, but that wasn't discounted as an American beer...

rDXrMfE.png

Nice try :p

Last edited:
214qwrm.jpg

From both, BOTH... British and Canadian origin.

Good enough for me.

Not going to argue but these country ones definitely need more rule clarification. A beer could potentially be owned by, brewed in and originating from three different countries. This is the case for Carling too - owned by Canadian/US company, brewed in England (what we would buy but not worldwide) and originating in Canada. Wikipedia as it's edited by anyone is vague. The guy who set it up was British so that could be the extent of the "both". On the brewery page for example:

Carling, formerly known as Carling Black Label, is a mass market lager in the United Kingdom with an alcohol content of 4.0%. Molson Coors marketing makes no reference to its Canadian origins, describing it as "British".

If Fosters is Australian (also brewed in England and owned by a Dutch company) then I think Carling should be the same and be Canadian.

IMO!

If we want to get really picky Budweiser is Anheuser-Busch InBev, but that wasn't discounted as an American beer...
p

Difference is Budweiser IS an american beer originally brewed by an American company, Carl Conrad & Co.

Brewdog are opening a brewery in the US soon, can I use Punk IPA for an american beer next time round?

Not going to argue but these country ones definitely need more rule clarification. A beer could potentially be owned by, brewed in and originating from three different countries. This is the case for Carling too - owned by Canadian/US company, brewed in England (what we would buy but not worldwide) and originating in Canada. Wikipedia as it's edited by anyone is vague. The guy who set it up was British so that could be the extent of the "both". On the brewery page for example:

If Fosters is Australian (also brewed in England and owned by a Dutch company) then I think Carling should be the same and be Canadian.

IMO!

I'd go with that! Only because I'm a sore loser though and want more points! :D

OK, so to respond to some points that have been raised.

Discover Britain's favourite lager, brilliantly refreshing and British.

Carling is marketed as a UK brand, was started by Englishmen using an English recipe, is brewed in the UK, is copyrighted in the UK, and the fact that the first commercial brewery was built in Canada nearly 200 years ago is neither here nor there.

R-evans is absolutely right that Fosters, marketed and sold as an Australian brand would not have been classed as an English beer. Much the same as Carlsberg.

Regarding points, I gave 2 because I saw that as fairer than giving 1. The absolute opposite of a 5 point entry in a standard round cannot earn 3 points in a reverse round :) If I was ever to change my mind on that, it would be to reduce the points awarded, as technically the beers entered that didn't have a match only truly qualify for 1 point, on the basis that they are a valid entry :)

Difference is Budweiser IS an american beer originally brewed by an American company, Carl Conrad & Co.

Brewdog are opening a brewery in the US soon, can I use Punk IPA for an american beer next time round?

Carling was originally brewed in the UK to start off with anyway.

I think the simple fact that Carling wasn't available in England until 100 years after it was first brewed and had to be imported, should be enough to show it is not an English beer. Obviously not.

Originated in England and now made in England by the UK subsidiary of a multinational. Marketed as a British beer with Burton Upon Trent printed on the can.

I don't understand the saltiness.

Coors Light - Originated in Colorado and now made in England by the UK subsidiary of a multinational. Marketed as a Colorado beer with Burton Upon Trent printed on the can.

So the only thing that makes it British is the marketing and the fact the owner/director of a Canadian company was British?

There is a Chinese brewer that recently opened a micro brewery (can't remember the name) in London, UK. Chinese beer though, right?

Coors Light - Originated in Colorado and now made in England by the UK subsidiary of a multinational. Marketed as a Colorado beer with Burton Upon Trent printed on the can.

So the only thing that makes it British is the marketing and the fact the owner/director of a Canadian company was British?

There is a Chinese brewer that recently opened a micro brewery (can't remember the name) in London, UK. Chinese beer though, right?

https://www.carling.com/heritage

Here at Carling, we’re really proud of our heritage. Check out our story below; from humble beginnings right through to all the exciting stuff we’ve got up to with our ‘refreshingly perfect’ campaign. Here’s to all those who have made us No.1 and cheers to many more years.

Carling’s British roots trace all the way back to the Yorkshire village of Etton, little known, but forever in the hearts of Carling as the birthplace of our namesakes, William Carling and his son Thomas. Inheriting his father’s passion and skill for brewing, a 21 year old Thomas emigrated to Canada taking his father’s Yorkshire beer recipe, which on arrival in Canada he used to brew privately for admiring family and friends.

dont do that please - Gilly

Yorkshireman starts it, brewed in England using British ingredients to an English recipe marketed as British.

That there was a time during the history of the beer where it was based in Canada doesn't make it Canadian.

Ask 100 people on the street where Carling is from. Come back and report how many say that it's Canadian :)

Ok, your say is final :)

I live in Leeds, if I asked 100 people on the street there is a good chance a lot of them would have a can of it in their hands and swear blind that Tea is English too :p

Back
Top Bottom