Bought a used iPhone 8 which has icloud lock....

Soldato
You've nitpicked without acknowledging that the underlying premise might be correct. My iPhone XS that I paid £1000 for is now worth about £550 - 55%. The Note 9 (as one example) is now £350 down from £599 - 58%, though admittedly you couldn't buy the Note 9 for that price until some time after launch. If I'd paid £1000 for my iPhone XS in August (I didn't, but it happens), it would have fallen in value by 45% in a month.

iPhones do hold their value better when you take best case scenario of full RRP for both devices bought on day of release. Once you factor in carrier and retailer discounts, the gap is much less. In some cases, that gap may not exist.

I am specifically talking about launch day prices. I wouldn’t buy an iPhone mid-way through the cycle.

And the only way to make your figures work is to wait for the Samsung device to come down in price new.

So whilst you may have been enjoying your new iPhone for 12 months and still retain 50% of its value you might have only had your Samsung phone for 6 months to get that same value back. Keep the Samsung for the same 12 months as the iPhone and it has lost even more value.

Soldato
You can also get carrier discounts from launch on new iPhones. You can get the 11 Pro 64Gb for £1333 over 24 months on EE with 30gb data, no cash back or redemption nonsense. Cheaper than sim only options.

That’s a pretty sharp discount over buying direct and buying outright and going sim only, you can also get it cheaper on O2. You also get the same perks as going direct.

Soldato
You can also get carrier discounts from launch on new iPhones. You can get the 11 Pro 64Gb for £1333 over 24 months on EE with 30gb data, no cash back or redemption nonsense. Cheaper than sim only options.

That’s a pretty sharp discount over buying direct and buying outright and going sim only, you can also get it cheaper on O2. You also get the same perks as going direct.

You can get the iphone 11 max pro for 1149 direct from Apple.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Hi guys,

So I recently bought an iPhone 8 on Ebay, turns out the phone has an iCloud lock on it and even though I have hard factory reset the phone/wiped the data I still can't get on it without entering the previous users details... I tried contacting the seller numerous times to remove this or pass on the details but he is ignoring me, go figure...

I searched the IMEI number online and turns out it appears "lost or stolen". Is there any way I can remove this or am I totally screwed? If so that's $500 down the pan -_-

Thanks for any help!

You seriously bought an iPhone 8 on ebay for $500...? That in itself is a rip off

Back
Top Bottom