Brakes help

GT3

GT3

Soldato
On my 106 diesel suddenly the brakes went, put my foot to the floor and it just lost all pressure in the pedal and when i braked hard it pulls to one side.

Looked under rear of the car and theres fluid dripping out the drum casing.

Dont know much about drum brakes but is this a cylinder has gone? Do they just go suddenly like that? How hard are they to replace?

Cheers

Associate
Right, drum brakes.

I'm assuming you're fairly competant at mechanics here ;)

Jack the back of the car up, and whip the wheel off.

You need to pop the hub cap off, then undo the hubnut (32mm iirc). Depending on how knackered the drum is, you'll need to slowly work it off, with a big flat bladed screwdriver.

Once its off (hopefully), You should be able to see where the fluids coming from. My bet would be a weeping slave cylinder. About £15 to replace.

Don
Lopéz said:
Hardest bit of the job. Don't underestimate just how firmly attached drums become over the years :D

Not if you invest in a drum-puller :D I would recommend changing the rear shoes too, if the rear piston has been leaking then there is a good chance that the shoes are now contaminated too :(

Don
-westy- said:
When Miles tried removing mine it wouldn't free up - just took the beam off instead :D

Ah good old Miles! I know quite a few people who have dealt with him (myself included, however I was *selling* him a rear beam)

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Hardest bit of the job. Don't underestimate just how firmly attached drums become over the years :D

haha me and my dad tried it with a hub puller,the lip of the hub nut cover stopped it sitting flush so it didnt work. A screwdriver around it once and pulling side to side got it off eventually. That had been on for years. Good luck if the pads are binding to the drum :(

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Sounds easy enough, mallet and chisel should get the drum off :p

Just need to order the part now.

my 25 mile commute is fun at the moment :eek:

Man of Honour
Be warned, if you really are driving it with a popped cylinder, it will only maintain what minimal pressure is left for a short time. You will soon lose all the fluid and hence the brakes. If it's popped hard enough for you to notice it suddenly through the pedal you really don't want to be driving it.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Lopéz said:
Be warned, if you really are driving it with a popped cylinder, it will only maintain what minimal pressure is left for a short time. You will soon lose all the fluid and hence the brakes. If it's popped hard enough for you to notice it suddenly through the pedal you really don't want to be driving it.

I know just been braking through the gears because I travel at off peak times on empty back roads. The footbrake does nothing at all now so fixing it later!

Associate
:eek: Good Job a little child never ran out on the road or you had to stop quick for some reason, as the car was not road worthy for 2 days. I know I travelled 1 mile to my local garage with a broken brake pipe coing home from work, but the pipe split at that moment and I still had limited braking on the pedal, but put the car straight in and took a bus to work and back the next day, didn't attempt to drive it anyway far for saftey reasons for other road users and pedestrians.

Associate
GT3 said:
I know just been braking through the gears because I travel at off peak times on empty back roads. The footbrake does nothing at all now so fixing it later!

haha thats what i did as well, i didnt have another car so was like meh, i tend to brake a lot with my gears anyway

Back
Top Bottom