Brand new OCZ 1250w PSU - Clicking

Associate
:(

Had it a week, I thought the clicking was just subtle and goes on and off. Just been playing Alan Wake and it seems when the cpu/gpu is under strain or a lot of power is being used. The problem arises.

Furmark after 6mins makes the PSU click a large amount, very quickly. When Idle it does not click.

RMA time? And how are OCZ?

Associate
If you've only had it a week should you not RMA it to the place where you bought it?? Not sure but thats what I have done with the couple of RMA's i've had. One of those just happened to be a OCZ PCI-E SSD but I have had that for bout 18 months. I still RMA'd it to the place where i got it as it was still under warranty.

Soldato
Are you sure nothing has got into the fan area of the PSU and is hitting the fan as it speeds up when under load ? Could also be a loose cable/part inside the PSU that was not put out of the way of the fan. Does not sound good mate they are not meant to click but some do make screaching noises when under load which is capacitor whine or a component vibrating.

Take a good look if anything is knocking the fan if you can't see anything RMA it mate. Opening it up to check inside will probably break some warranty seals so I don't advise doing that to a new PSU that is still under warranty.

Associate
OP
Already checked mate, nothing that I can see which would cause a clicking noise or vibration. It is not capacitor whine or a component vibrating. Just this very strange a frequent clicking noise when idle.

Thanks for your help buddy. Think I will RMA asap.

Soldato
If you do RMA it let me know how it goes, I tried to send a power supply back to them and the refused to cover postage (to Netherlands) so would like to know if you have more luck.

Associate
This is gonna sound weird, but have you tried running it upside down? I had a PSU once with a similar click, never got to the bottom of it, but I turned it upside down and it never happened again.

Maybe not the best idea in the world, since there could have been something seriously wrong with it but it worked for about 4 years before I replaced it.

Last edited:
Soldato
does it sound like tic toc tic toc tic toc ....... boom?

return it and get a new one. go with seasonic for peace of mind (or some XFX and Corsair models which are made by seasonic)

Associate
If its under a week could you use DSR? Might be a quicker way to get the money back. With an RMA theres always a risk the problem can't be reproduced.

This, I have just returned an OCZ 750ZT PSU because the fan would spin to max and not return to normal without a restart, since it was only 4 days old I returned under DSR.

Soldato
Yes DSR it or at the very least send it back to the retailer you got it from. OCZ RMAs go back to the states I think.

You could also save yourself some cash and get something with sub 1KW wattage.

Back
Top Bottom