Break out the extra large pot of T-Cut !

Man of Honour
Only really posting here as a rant, and for the usual OcUK Humor,

On my way back from collecting my partner from concert (she is a musician) and grabbing some dinner, decided to pop some petrol in the car.

Coming off the Third exit of the roundabout, the chap at the second exit didnt feel like stopping and entered the roundabout straight into the back of my car.

Hit us pretty hard and spun us half way round. Thankfully he stopped, and details have been exchanged - reported to insurances etc.

Barely had the damn thing a month!

Now have to wait until Monday to hear from the insurance, get an assesor out etc. Am I right to be expecting a Write Off with rear quarter damage on a 6.5k ish car ?

DyDVYG3h.jpg
aZTsYPEh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I did the same to my car last night :(
Travelling slowly in the snow I lost the rear going round a tight bend and hit the centre barrier - front & rear ends and wheels damaged.

Man of Honour
Probably not a write off if it is just heavy cosmetic damage to the rear quarter panel and bumper. If the damages goes beyond that to the underlying structure (but not actual structural damage) good chance it would be a cat D job.

Associate
doesn't seem that bad.
try those paintless dent removal guys. should sort that around in 1-2 hours. then it is only the paint you need sorting.

Man of Honour
OP
Wouldn't expect that to be written off. Doesn't really look that bad.

At first I would have agreed with you, but as Fox mentioned, with a single piece rear quarter on a fairly low value car - I guess I will have to wait and see!

Ps. The impact is fairly close to the electrical/hybrid gubbins in the boot - would OcUk imagine it's worth popping by my Lexus dealer to check it's safe to keep driving - or would the (probably) wiser move be to just leave it on the drive until the assessor comes ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wouldn't expect that to be written off. Doesn't really look that bad.

It isn't that bad, a new panel and a new bumper perhaps? If it was the front wing it'd be done and dusted without issue.

The problem is that the rear wing is not a simple bolt on, it's a major job to replace and the labour costs are going to be significant. This will be very borderline on a car with a pre accident value of £6.5k.

Associate
It all depends on whether they insist on new panels or repair of the existing ones. It's definitely not too far gone to be repaired. As someone else said - a decent bodyshop/dent removal would have that sorted in less than a day.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
If they pay you out, ask how much it'll cost to buy it off them and fix it yourself. Win, win situation. :)

What engine you got in there? 2JZ-GTE? :D

Man of Honour
It isn't that bad, a new panel and a new bumper perhaps? If it was the front wing it'd be done and dusted without issue.

The problem is that the rear wing is not a simple bolt on, it's a major job to replace and the labour costs are going to be significant. This will be very borderline on a car with a pre accident value of £6.5k.

Depends on how much it'll cost to the insurance company - place around here its about £800 labour and £1200-1600 parts for a job like that on a Lexus if they can "just" remove and replace the panels - if it needs any additional work to rectify before they can replace the panels almost certainly a write off I suspect.

Looks like the parts are relatively inexpensive around £200-300 "new" each if you had the skills to do yourself.

EDIT: That said my parents had similar (looked cosmetic) damage on their Touran after a van went into them but when the insurance company had a properly look it had done structural damage and was written off - actually did them a favour in the long run as they ended up going to the latest full spec model and it makes the old one look ropey - the ride is in another league.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard to say, probably only cosmetic but those panels are always expensive to fix as you usually can't remove them.

The panel might be repairable without painting though. Which will be FAR cheaper, but insurance always want a full bodyshop job. Probably best NOT claiming if you don't want them to write it off :/

Man of Honour
Hard to say, probably only cosmetic but those panels are always expensive to fix as you usually can't remove them.

Plenty of places replace them or atleast claim to - I've never actually had any work done on a Lexus but the labour costs are quite high and as Fox said might make it uneconomical.

Soldato
Yea you have to cut them off and weld some new ones on I think. It's not like the fenders or doors which just un-bolt :(

Soldato
To be honest - assuming there's nothing catastrophic underneath, I imagine they would repair that panel and repair/replace the bumper.

Do post back when you know! Always interesting to see what bodyshops can do.

Back
Top Bottom