1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breath Test..

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Teledude, 17 May 2006.

1. Teledude

Mobster

Not wanting a thread about child killers etc just a quick question :)

Do police need to be in uniform to carry out a road side breath test?

2. chrislusty

Wise Guy

Not sure, but if you refuse a breath test you get a ban.

3. G.O.A.T

Gangster

In theory you should never be in the posistion to need to know this.

4. Teledude

Mobster

Thanks for the random replys :p

5. Sp00n

Capodecina

In theory you should never be in the position to get pulled over... but it happens.

I'm pretty sure any copper can give you a breath test but they have to have good reason to do so.

6. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Why not? It is often routine to breath test everyone involved in an RTA, even non-fault drivers.

7. G.O.A.T

Gangster

Well if you drink enough you probably can't tell the difference.

8. needmorespeed

Mobster

no you dont you get arrested and taken to the station for a blood or urine test :)

9. chrislusty

Wise Guy

A friend of mine just got a 12month ban for refusing to give another breath test, he had giving four, one was borderline, the other three didnt register.

He refused a breath test at the station, and he was charged for not doing the test.

10. stoofa

Capodecina

Which you can also refuse.

11. happytechie

Soldato

and the penalty for refusing to perfomr a blood test is the same as that for DD iirc. the roadside test is only used as an indicator I believe and it's the blood test (which they can back track in time to test how drunk you were 3 hours ago etc) which is used in court.

Paul

12. Freefaller

Man of Honour

I was stopped about 5 years ago - just a random check, this was on the way home from a dropzone and I did have a couple of people in my car who had been drinking. They felt it best to test me just to be safe, obviously I was fine, as was my driving. They were very professional and nice about it - which is no surprise, they also let me know of a speed trap they had setup further down the road which was nice of them. :)

They were in uniform however. I'm sure an undercover traffic cop car has every right to do a breath test, but I don't think there would be many undercover cops bothering to do that sort of thing? A lot of unmarked cars are driven by uniformed officers.

13. stoofa

Capodecina

However as I feel that anybody who is over the alcohol limit and behind the wheel of a car should instantly have their license taken away and never returned and a few months at Her Majesty's pleasure I'm all for cops uniformed or not being able to carry out the tests - and also to be able to continue with the random tests.

14. Freefaller

Man of Honour

Agreed. I *hate* drink driving. There is just no excuse for it at all.