Brexit Customs Charges to Ireland

Associate
Hi I've been buying PC parts from the UK for years as it's hard to find parts here in Ireland that aren't incredibly expensive. I've had an RTX 3080 pre-ordered since November but was just curious if anyone knows what I might be charged for it. I also have a Lancool 2 case and Kraken X53 ordered too and I'm afraid that I will be charged I've €70 euro each. Anyone know of any way I could avoid these charges? Would using addresspal or parcel motel be an option at this point? Thanks in advance for responses

Soldato
You should be able to claim the UK VAT back from the retailer you bought it from, then you "might" (should) be charged Irish VAT and a small handling fee on delivery of the item, there's still a few months transition for couriers to get their act together but a lot of post still has the wrong paperwork. That's how it is supposed to work, with a preorder though you'd need the sales receipt to show the purchase date rather than the dispatch date to avoid some of the mess, otherwise the above would apply.

Soldato
You should be able to claim the UK VAT back from the retailer you bought it from, then you "might" (should) be charged Irish VAT and a small handling fee on delivery of the item, there's still a few months transition for couriers to get their act together but a lot of post still has the wrong paperwork. That's how it is supposed to work, with a preorder though you'd need the sales receipt to show the purchase date rather than the dispatch date to avoid some of the mess, otherwise the above would apply.
I was literally about to mention you in this... Steeps knows his stuff in this regard :) it's still very weird getting things into England from EU.

Soldato
I wouldn't say I know my stuff completely, I had to do some research as something didn't look right with one of the stores I work with. If the shop is registered for Irish VAT they can charge Irish VAT instead of UK VAT and attach the appropriate paperwork, but for a UK store they'd have to register in every country they were planning on doing that in, it's easier not to charge it in the first place.

Northern Ireland to Ireland shipping warehouses probably won't be much benefit as again its up to the receiver to pay duties/VAT, it will be flagged if that's the route its going to take, with the payments required at the shipping warehouse in NI before it can cross over.

Back
Top Bottom