British gas homecare 300 - worth carrying on?

Associate
I've just had my renewal letter come through from British gas for the homecare 300 they provide to cover my boiler & controls, heating, plumbing & drains.

I'm going through every direct debit I have at the moment to try and trim off some 'fat' that i've let accumilate and am thinking that £27 a month or £320 a year is getting a bit steep.

They service the boiler once a year and the boiler itself is as old as the house, so about 16 years. It's an ideal standard boiler as far as I know and has gone wrong twice before. I think i've had two pumps replaced in the past 14 years or so.

Is it worth carrying it on? British gas wouldn't replace the boiler if it went wrong as it's over 7 years old anyway.

Or should I take off the heating & plumbing/drain cover and just have basic boiler/controls cover?

Associate
OP
320 year? Thats almost a new boiler every 2 years!
Is your boiler under warranty?
If anythign went seriously wrong wouldn't you just claim on your house insurance?

The boiler is over 16 years old, but still going ok. British gas service it once a year and they usually say 'we are going to struggle getting parts for this soon' but still take my money.

Last engineer said there's no point replacing it yet.

Associate
OP
Just called BG and have managed to reduce the cost down to £17 from £27 by opting for a £50 excess payment incase of callout instead of the £0 I was paying. Sound quite reasonable, just fingers crossed now.

Back
Top Bottom