British Homes - The embarrassing truth

Associate
Exactly, looking at some of the self build options I could bosh out something twice the size and quality as these companies for half the cost.

Problem is, want this pittance of land? Sure, 200k. Oh no planning permission so good luck.

another kick in the balls to look out for are the clauses in the sale of land that if you develop it then the previous owners get a percentage of the value of the property that gets built on it... :/

Sgarrista
Commissario
another kick in the balls to look out for are the clauses in the sale of land that if you develop it then the previous owners get a percentage of the value of the property that gets built on it... :/

I missed out on a plot of land last year im kicking myself for. Turned it down because it was mostly full of big old trees (none protected just a pain to remove).

It went super cheap at auction and drove past the other day and someones completely cleared it down now. In hindsight it would have been some elbow grease but the size of the plot was big and accessible.

Live and learn.

Man of Honour
Best house I ever bought was built in 1934.

They definitely knew how to build houses around then - problem is you often have half-witted renovations from the 70s-90s to redo properly half the time.

I lived for a bit in a place I thought was about 20 years old - was stunned to find it was a 1930s build with barely any changes other than doors and windows - very well done brick work.

Soldato
OP
never heard of them - although oak doors a d solid brick internal walls is certainly a positive

Sounds decent

https://jelson.co.uk/built-the-right-way

"Jelson still builds the traditional way, using bricks and blocks for its walls - even upstairs. Gently tap a wall anywhere in a Jelson-built house and you'll hear a reassuring thud from the solid internal walls, which provide great heat and sound insulation."

Soldato
The government needs to sort something out. Most people wanting to self build will also be looking to build very efficient housing and yet here we are with them propping up mega developers who refuse to innovate (given, they can’t get their current product right!).

I’m not sure how it would work, maybe a tax exemption if you build and live in it for 5 years

Yep, self build can drive quality, supports smaller contractors and architects, also stimulates the supply chain for higher quality, more environmentally friendly materials.

There are big shakeups coming to planning policy in England. I hope there can be more support for self build.

Soldato
"Jelson still builds the traditional way, using bricks and blocks for its walls - even upstairs. Gently tap a wall anywhere in a Jelson-built house and you'll hear a reassuring thud from the solid internal walls, which provide great heat and sound insulation."

Yeah, but stud walls can be sturdy and made properly as well, but what happens is builders use this thin tin metal that barely has more structure than foil. 3 screws in the top rail, 3 in the bottom and 1 screw per upright and the result is an awful wall with no rigidity at all.

Soldato
Yeah, but stud walls can be sturdy and made properly as well, but what happens is builders use this thin tin metal that barely has more structure than foil. 3 screws in the top rail, 3 in the bottom and 1 screw per upright and the result is an awful wall with no rigidity at all.
We recently moved into a new factory ~3 years ago. Story goes that those metal studs (not sure the correct name) just went in at any angle as we went with the cheapest builders:o. We also have has multiple leaks in the roof (ceiling tiles have a tea like stain on them), and worst of all the building looks a bit like corrugated steel and water got in once and blew the electrics to the building (and that's for something like a 1000 415v supply:eek:), but hey it saved a few quid.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Very little craftsmanship now. My pet hate is no tradesman can cut a straight line now so it's 200ltrs of silicon everywhere.

Associate
The council will let companies throw up small terrible houses for a back hander.

Try and find a plot to self build a nice looking decent house - almost impossible where I live.

I would never get a new build from any of the afore mentioned ‘builders’
I can’t see them lasting 150 years

Soldato
The council will let companies throw up small terrible houses for a back hander.

Try and find a plot to self build a nice looking decent house - almost impossible where I live.

I would never get a new build from any of the afore mentioned ‘builders’
I can’t see them lasting 150 years
Crikey you are really planning ahead if your house buying is a 150 year plan. Probably needs space for a flying car?

Soldato
Standard of trades is a point definitely.

Artisan trades are a dying breed especially good ones. It could be a wider conversation about pushing this training within schooling, you could argue over the last 20+ years technical training has been put in the bin in favour of following the Uni route.

The dumming down of the City & Guilds training leading to poorer standard trades. Seems like a money grab half the time when it comes to these qualifications, all these micky mouse 0-Hero 2 week domestic electricians etc. Rubbish.

As I have never worked within the domestic property building I can't say for sure but I bet it's rush rush rush money money money. Get it in quickly and cheaply and move on, deal with the snagging later if it crops up.

Soldato
Standard of trades is a point definitely.

Artisan trades are a dying breed especially good ones. It could be a wider conversation about pushing this training within schooling, you could argue over the last 20+ years technical training has been put in the bin in favour of following the Uni route.

The dumming down of the City & Guilds training leading to poorer standard trades. Seems like a money grab half the time when it comes to these qualifications, all these micky mouse 0-Hero 2 week domestic electricians etc. Rubbish.

As I have never worked within the domestic property building I can't say for sure but I bet it's rush rush rush money money money. Get it in quickly and cheaply and move on, deal with the snagging later if it crops up.
You already constrain the problem by calling them artisan trades. This isn't about artisan trades, this is about bread and butter trades pivoting to a modern way of working. Newer houses whilst built to a different standard, are cheaper to build, maintain and heat/cool. If you want an all-brick construction, there are ample brickies out there dying to impress you with their corbelling skills, but they are indeed "artisan" and therefore expect to get paid as such. Most people are not willing to pay, so jobs adjust accordingly. One is a volume problem which must follow the market, and one is a value problem which must find its niche (Cotswolds stone masons travelling to London, for example).

The reason we have this problem is a symptom of the masses getting involved to understand how to do it better, for cheaper, and extract more value for themselves/ shareholders. It doesn't mean the option for a better house isn't out there, it just means you need to pay for it.

Soldato
I don't think I would even look at a new build anymore, it's all glamour no substance. Small plots, no garden, under sized rooms but more toilets and bathrooms than you know what to do with.
I've lived in 50+ year old houses for the last 15 years and they have all been on decent plots, decent gardens and solid construction. The only downside is the lack of wall insulation in most of mine, often solid brick or stone. So relatively expensive to heat. I don't think I'd buy a new build that I didn't build myself (not literally).

Soldato
I don't think I would even look at a new build anymore, it's all glamour no substance. Small plots, no garden, under sized rooms but more toilets and bathrooms than you know what to do with.
I've lived in 50+ year old houses for the last 15 years and they have all been on decent plots, decent gardens and solid construction. The only downside is the lack of wall insulation in most of mine, often solid brick or stone. So relatively expensive to heat. I don't think I'd buy a new build that I didn't build myself (not literally).
I live in a 50+ year old house that has lime mortar, no front garden or driveaway (built before cars existed), a dodgy extension built with single brick construction (no insultation) and had everything retrofitted to it. Your generalisation is sweeping and incorrect.

Soldato
We self built, partly as in this area most houses are bungalows and we really wanted a house and also for pretty much the same price as a low quality new build on an estate we could build what we wanted and control the quality.

We were lucky with our builder as he had a team of really good local lads who actually seemed to take pride in their work.

We did have to make a lot of decisions as nowadays as a lot have said the default is to install the absolute cheapest tat you can find, MDF and chipboard and cardboard for everything if you don't spec otherwise!

If we hadn't have self built I'd have bought an older house, not just because of the lack of quality but the massive lack of space. We have 1/2 acre of garden with our new build, you'd never get close to that otherwise.

Edit: But i don't think this is a new problem, the village i grew up in had a couple of estates built in the 60's, 70's and another big one in the 90's and 2000's and they were all known to be of poor quality.

Back
Top Bottom