British Roads

Mobster
Soldato
British roads are rubbish in a lot of places but the difference I think is the most staggering.

A3 seems quite well maintained, as is the A46 which I was on today. But then you get other large A roads and motorways that are poorly maintained.

Why the massive disparity? Why are our roads still worse than other European countries - assuming tolls must have something to do with it. How well maintained is the M6 Toll?

Soldato
How well maintained is the M6 Toll?

It doesn't need to be maintained no one uses the damn thing! :p

The M6 toll is actually quite nice but I haven't used it since my company stopped paying for it and as it has zero freight using it the surface is lovely. The A5 however that runs alongside is ripped to shreds with massive potholes.

Soldato
In my opinion it because of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38149577

Britain is an extremely congested country and the roads are hit hard every day so maintenance is always going to be more of an issue.

We also take a smaller share of our GDP as tax (36%)by comparison to Germany (44%) and France (56%) In general which has always had knock-on effects for infrastructure.

Soldato
ahh the wonderful irony of british transport. the public transports terrible so everyone drives which means both the public transport cant afford to be better and the roads are too over used to fix up.

Man of Honour
20+ years ago they actually did a good job repairing the roads around here and they'd last 10 years before getting into a state - now they do a cheap *** job that looks like decades of neglect after only 2 years and must have cost them far more in the long run than just spending the money to do a good job in the first place.

It is funny though how going from one similar town to the next and the difference in the roads and how well thought out upgrade work is, etc. is huge wonder if its down to who runs the council, etc.

Man of Honour
Bet he doesn't even pay road tax!

Around 60% of my commute has been resurfaced over the last year (London :cool: ) and you can really feel it while you cycle. Both the vibrations and the noise changes drastically.

Associate
To me its one of those damned if you do.... The UK weather system with constant warm days, freezing nights must play havoc with road conditions (Freeze - Thaw) and the second a road is closed for maintenance / relaying all hell breaks out from the public who may be delayed from getting to the hairdressers !! (Sarcasm !!)

That and ever increasing maintenance costs and lowering budgets will always take its toll....

Soldato
When we used to visit the US on holiday, the contrast between roads there and here was a stark one. Wide lanes with most main highways having a parking/breakdown shoulder (also ideal for cyclists) and on many normal carriageways frequent overtaking lanes. Outside the cities the freeway network allowed you to maintain a high average speed on interstate or inter-city journeys. Car parking is wide and spacious and often laid out diagonally so drive in/drive out without reversing. Contrast that with the UK where even the A Roads are often narrow winding lanes, no shoulder just a high banked verge or ditch either side. A plethora of roundabouts as opposed to using traffic light intersections where, in a desperate attempt to keep things moving, the local authorities have squeezed in an extra lane but at the cost of being barely wide enough for a normal car, let alone a van or lorry. And don't get me started on roundabouts with lights... Given the amount of funding that (in theory) should be directed at the roads, we should have the best designed and maintained highways our cramped and over-populated little island can support.

Soldato
I used to rant a rave about UK roads, but in recent years I've noticed them resurface a lot of the ones I had issues with. In my experience they get sorted in the end so I just raise any issues I have with either the local council or highways as I feel you've got to raise it with them if you have an issue with it, otherwise what's the point in just sitting around and moaning about it?

This is coming from a motorcyclist as well, where the surface condition means a lot more. Last case for me was the A1 between Baldock and Sandy. They've recently resurfaced the roundabouts and a big stretch at Sandy, now they're tackling the Baldock to Biggleswade stretch thankfully, as this part is awful, especially for a dual carriageway. It has pot holes, worn patches, big cracks and basically a canyon up the middle between lanes which was quite dangerous.

I have one last local case that I'm going to start up soon and that's to do with a small stretch of road in Baldock that's a bit of a grey area. It's horrendous... It has masses of pot holes that go right down to the base of the road and needs completely re-doing from scratch. But every year or so a couple of blokes come along in a truck and fill the holes and by the end of the next winter, they're back to how they were. Pointless..
The problem is, I think this road is privately owned so will need some investigation work. However, it's surprising as there's an old people's care home at the top of it, they have to travel over it in their bus and cars etc and pedestrians need to dodge cars that mount the pavement avoiding said holes.

I've travelled around Europe in recent years and have seen much better of course but also much worse. Can we do better? Yes, no doubt, at a cost. But I don't feel it's as bad a many make out in comparison to many other countries.

Caporegime
I notice it cycling around. You can literally see and feel the road surface change as you pass the sign for the next county.

Was going to post something similar! I drive or cycle a road every day that passes from one county to another and there is literally a line across the road which is the border. Each side has a different surface finish. One is riddled with pot holes, thebother subsidence!

Caporegime
I'm guessing the ice caused a few issues, as I was driving home in the dark last night down a road I take fairly regularly, and there were two new potholes that made my whole car shudder.

Soldato
British roads are rubbish in a lot of places but the difference I think is the most staggering.

A3 seems quite well maintained, as is the A46 which I was on today. But then you get other large A roads and motorways that are poorly maintained.

Why the massive disparity? Why are our roads still worse than other European countries - assuming tolls must have something to do with it. How well maintained is the M6 Toll?

I know you asked about why ours are worse than other European countries (which is debatable tbh) but if you think ours are bad then you should take a trip to America. Their roads, even the interstates, are absolutely shocking.

Back
Top Bottom