Broadband speed

Associate
Updated my broadband to Lila 1gig from virgin, Lila fitted a router in the front room but iv noticed it dropping out upstairs and when it does connect the speed is like being on virgin still. Whats the best way to solve it?

Associate
Updated my broadband to Lila 1gig from virgin, Lila fitted a router in the front room but iv noticed it dropping out upstairs and when it does connect the speed is like being on virgin still. Whats the best way to solve it?

Try looking at WiFi bands to start, if there are too many devices on a bandwidth the interference caused slows the connection speed down

Associate
Provided wifi routers arent always that decent, i rarely use the provided one just for a few days to get it setup then move to a more reliable one with greater range. You could look a the signal bands is there 2 (1x 2.4ghz 1x 5ghz) try and change the channel being used. Sometimes the default one isnt decent enough for your situation. This will mean logging into the router to see what options are present to change/separate them out.

Associate
As per the replies on your cross post on 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' the best plan is to run a cable (move the router or add an AP centrally)

Soldato
I've been with Lila for just over a year and their service is solid. Their supplied router however is absolute dogpile for WiFi. My house isn't very big so I just moved the router into a central location in the house and ran a longer, decent quality Cat6 cable to the SDD.

But I did turn off the router's mesh feature and split the WiFi signals into separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz APs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually carrier provided routers are a bit meh and you'll struggle to get a great experience unless you are in the same room. A half decent mesh system is <£200 these days and will drastically improve coverage around the house.

Soldato
We get the worst speeds here in Australia :( not even worth mentioning lol

this news piece from 2021 shows a chart with UK ranking 50th and Oz ranking 54th in average fixed broadband speed.

so quite similar back then and both quite rubbish, it is the Cities who have the very fast stuff

most people in the UK certainly dont have 1 gig internet, up until a few years back i had less than 1 meg lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Just grab a GL.iNet Flint or Flint 2 and be done with it, they are pretty cheap, I get whole house coverage with the Flint 2 (3 Bedroom) and also when I had the Flint 1, they are easy to set up, no need for mesh or AP's / repeaters, im on a BRSK 900MB/s up and down and in every bedroom im getting at least 500MB/s up and down over 5G WiFi which is more than enough, my 2.4G WiFi is only used for IoT devices, in the lounge I get full speed over WiFi which is about 5 or 6 meters from the router, PC's are hardwired, and TV, sky box and Sony AV are hardwired via a tiny Netgear 1GB/s switch.

This is my Pixel 7 pro in the lounge on BRSK via a Flint 2 https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/10112832690

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to do it properly run ethernet cable around your house to all your major devices, and then you can place access points where needed.

I did it a few years ago and wished I'd done it years before, cost about £140 for all the cables, tools, faceplates connectors, including an unmanaged switch etc, everything.

WiFi is just ****, plain and simple.

Yes there are solutions, you'll spend a lot of money and effort getting a WiFi solution that will never be as good as cabled network.

Commissario
I'll move this over to the Networking section.

As Budforce says the best way to do it is to run wired connections to the access points in the house, preferably using a set of access points that can create a seamless wireless network but do so whilst using the wired connection back to the router, that way the wireless network isn't working to carry that data back to the modem (when you use a fully wireless mesh network you effectively create several times the wireless traffic as it's having to pass the data from one node to the next and back).

I use TPlink Deco M4's (I think they are), which I hooked into my wired network and get basically the same speed from any of the access points as none of them are repeating the data to try and carry it back over wifi.

Back
Top Bottom