Broken laptop dilemma. What would you do with it?

Associate
About four years ago I bought a HP ENVY 15-j051EA laptop for £800 that now has a cracked screen (just the glass), one of the screen hinges is out and the case is coming apart on the rear. The power button cap is also out and gone and there are a few missing keys. Otherwise the laptop is fully functional except I need to buy an SSD because the HDD has also went kaput so that's quite a lot. The crucial spec:

i7 4700MQ 3.4GHz (Turbo)
8GB RAM
GT 740M

Now I have a dilemma with what to do with it. I have already tried fixing the hinges, tried new screws, all different types of glues and methods but the case eventually always comes apart and the screen holds only on one of the hinges. The only way to properly repair the casing is to buy a replacement, which is ridiculously expensive! I am looking at around £130 for the top including bottom + £50 Glass replacement + £40 new keyboard + £70 SSD! That's almost £300.

I mean I could just sell the parts and make £300 and buy myself a new laptop. I could also assemble the parts into a solid case and use it as a PC plugged to the TV in the living room for whatever reason. Assembling it back into the original casing makes no sense because it's literally unusable that way. It looks horrible and you can't open/close the screen, it looks like a ruin. So, what would you do with it?

Associate
If you dont have smart tv and not short on money i would hide it somewhere behind tv or cabinet, install android tv or kodi on it and buy a wireless remote to use it. If you are short on money take it apart and sell piece by piece, this might take long time to get rid off most or all parts but its better then spending £300 on it to be honest...

Associate
OP
Thank you for your input. I have a Samsung KS7000 TV with a wireless keyboard/touch. Maybe I will use it as a mini gaming console, get a pad and run a few older titles. Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 ran actually not bad on the laptop.

Caporegime
MY Dell went to pieces similar to this. In the end, I was still using it but it stayed on the desk, with a monitor connected. It used to take me a few minutes each morning to coax it into life as the power button had gone, too. I had to massage the little bump on the aluminium strip underneath the casing to get it to work.

Soldato
It's still a pretty great spec laptop, it'd be great for emulators!
A large part of me would want to just try and find the parts cheaper, but it would be cool to try and build that into a separate case!

Back
Top Bottom