Broken Ram?

Associate
Hi, ok here's my sorry tale. I recently bought an Asus Strix 1080ti gpu. Also some months ago I'd bought 32gb of DDR3 Corsair ram to replace my six year old 16gb ram but never got round to installing it. Anyway, I decided to swap the ram over at the same time as installing my new shiny gpu. The 1080ti went in no problem but the ram just wouldn't go in with that satisfying click, I had to manually flip the retaining tabs into place. I turned on the pc, everything powered up but the screen remained blank. I didn't have time to troubleshoot so just put the old ram back in (which did click into place as it should), and turned on my PC. Everything booted up fine and soon I was in Windows. "Great" I thought, I'll sort out my other ram tomorrow and shut my PC down.

The next day I started up a quick game of Cities Skylines and instantly got a 'low memory' warning. It was then I found that my PC was only recognising 8 of the 16gb installed. I shut down, opened my pc, took the 8gb stick out of slot B2 and rebooted, it started fine. Then I swapped the sticks over in slot A2 to double check the stick that was originally in B2, blank screen again. At this point I decided to check the 4 ram sticks making up the new 32gb kit one by one in slot A2, each came up blank. Thinking I was going to have to buy more ram I put the working 8gb stick back into A2 and booted up... Blank screen... "ARRRGGGHH" It was then I noticed the 2 digit led error code display on the motherboard was showing the code FE, the mobo manual has no entry for this code. So that's where I am today, a pc that shows a blank screen when booting up and a mobo showing the error FE.

Sorry for the essay length description but I tried to include what I thought was all the relevant info. Hope it's not too confusing.

Asus Maximus VII Hero
i7 4790k

Thanks for your time.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the delay, it was badly seated ram. The sticks needed a little more force to push them in than I was comfortable with so I got a burly mate to have a go, then I could blame him if it went **** up lol. Luckily everything turned out fine :)

Back
Top Bottom