Broken S7 screen repair (not EDGE)

Soldato
Anyone had any dealings with getting a cracked S7 screen repaired?

Dropped mine today and the glass screen is pretty badly cracked. The phone seems fine otherwise.

Screen Medic seem to be quoting £69.99 for a screen repair which isn't bad. https://www.thescreenmedic.uk/colle...s/samsung-galaxy-s7-glass-only-repair-service

Alternatively I could take it into the Geek Squad place and see what they say, they seem to operate with carphone warehouse and there is a store in my local town centre.

Appreciate any advice from anyone who has used either of the above in the past.

Associate
Glass only repairs are extremely hit or miss. They cannot possibly replicate a perfect repair without damaging the lcd every single time.

Soldato
OP
The display seems to be absolutely fine, that screen medic place seems reasonably sure they can replace the glass without damaging the screen, obviously don't want to get it back to find it's not working properly.

£170 is getting on for half the cost of a new phone, but I guess paying more means peace of mind.

I'll go into CPW tomorrow and have a chat to them about it, see what they say, but expecting it to be in the region of £170 through CPW as they probably replace the whole display not just the glass.

Associate
Cracked or at least smashed the camera glass on my Galaxy s7. Not sure if to send it to samsung, try the Tech Guys at CPW or for £50 send it to imend.com. The latter seem to do a range of phone repairs. I don't have phone insurance as such but could claim a total loss on house insurance if it say, fell in the sea or under HGV.

Don't suppose there is any point having a moan at Samsung as my S7 wasn't dropped or crushed. No idea as to how it broke. I read others have had the same issue with camera glass?

Associate
I need to replace the glass on my S5 (lcd is working perfectly) thescreenmedic.co.uk are only charging £19.99 which seems too cheap? A colleague had her's repaired at a local phone shop for £65 and it came back like new.

Soldato
Cracked or at least smashed the camera glass on my Galaxy s7. Not sure if to send it to samsung, try the Tech Guys at CPW or for £50 send it to imend.com. The latter seem to do a range of phone repairs. I don't have phone insurance as such but could claim a total loss on house insurance if it say, fell in the sea or under HGV.

Don't suppose there is any point having a moan at Samsung as my S7 wasn't dropped or crushed. No idea as to how it broke. I read others have had the same issue with camera glass?

The camera glass is a relatively simple fix for anyone with a phone repair rig. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Soldato
OP
Do you not have phone insurance through your bank account or home insurance?

It would probably be over my home insurance excess, without including the knock on for future payments.

For banking unfortunately not as far as I can see, have an HSBC Advance account but it looks like you need to pay monthly to get the extra insurances like travel, mobile, and breakdown cover.

Soldato
Screen has been bonded to the glass for a decent amount of time on Samsungs, it seems this team have a special way of getting around this drama so fair play to them. The S5 repair is might be cheap as they have old stock and are looking to shift it. It's coming up on 3yr so probably just reducing inventory.

Associate
The camera glass is a relatively simple fix for anyone with a phone repair rig. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm leaning towards sending it to iMend.com. They say they repair same day and return. If I send it to Samsung or the Tech Guys I'm guessing it'll take a couple of weeks - going on past experience and knowing how they make a meal of these things.

Soldato
I'm leaning towards sending it to iMend.com. They say they repair same day and return. If I send it to Samsung or the Tech Guys I'm guessing it'll take a couple of weeks - going on past experience and knowing how they make a meal of these things.
Most towns have official repair centres for Samsung. These either tend to be actual Samsung repair stores or third party certified phone shops. You can see if there's one on the Samsung website. I got my smashed s7 edge done same day at a third party one.

Associate
Most towns have official repair centres for Samsung. These either tend to be actual Samsung repair stores or third party certified phone shops. You can see if there's one on the Samsung website. I got my smashed s7 edge done same day at a third party one.

Ok, I'll look into that.

Soldato
OP
Rang the Samsung repair centre at reading today they quoted 185 quid to repair it. Was 170 at cpw.

Probably going to go with the screen medic at 70 instead. Lose remaining warranty etc but the phone isn't getting more expensive so would rather put the saving on cost towards the next one.

Associate
With the screen medic make sure you check for any dull or bright spots on the lcd once repaired. They will use either loca (liquid optically clear adhesive) or oca (dry strips). It's this bonding of the glass to the lcd which can cause issues and is very hard to perfect.

Associate
Rang the Samsung repair centre at reading today they quoted 185 quid to repair it. Was 170 at cpw.

Probably going to go with the screen medic at 70 instead. Lose remaining warranty etc but the phone isn't getting more expensive so would rather put the saving on cost towards the next one.

Did you use screen medic in the end as I've tried calling them and emailing and not had a response...?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom