Brooklands worth a visit?

Soldato
I've come across Brooklands on Google Earth for the first time and it looks amazing. I can't imagine 1920 and 30 cars hurtling around the banks at 130mph! I'd be excited to have a look around and go in Concorde but is the museum worth a visit?

Has anyone done an AMG experience on the same day - it seems expensive starting at £150 for one hour to drive around a little track but the skid pan looks fun.

Soldato
Has anyone done an AMG experience on the same day - it seems expensive starting at £150 for one hour to drive around a little track but the skid pan looks fun.

I have. It was absolutely brilliant. The instructor was excellent, and they don't limit how hard you can drive the cars, although it's only a little track.

Man of Honour
It's 15 mins away from me. Yes it's definitely worth a visit. It's not just a car museum, they also have quite a few aircraft you can go inside too. They even have a real Concord you can pay extra to wander inside.

Associate
I have visited a couple of times when Auto Italia magazine hosted events. Albeit the last time it must be nearly 10 years ago.

I cant remember the last time exactly, it looks like the Museum has received the investment it so needed/warranted.

The banking is far steeper than I ever envisaged. Driving into Brooklands, you could spot the banking (might not now) as a large Tesco's sits on one of the turns, but you could make out some parts of the track. When I visited you have free access to wander around Concorde, walking underneath, great for photo's alone. At the time, the Museum, I felt was rather neglected, heavy coat of dust on the exhibits and I came away feeling it needed investment but this is a long time ago. Lots of aircraft parts (wrecks etc) when you read the story behind the exhibit - it is interesting.

Looking at the Brooklands website, it looks far better than it was a few years back. :)

Associate
I visited earlier in the year. I thought it was great. Walking up the banking i thought it was incredible that the cars used to race around there. Plenty of historic cars to see, also some old F1 cars, some old bikes too. The plane museum was interesting to have a wonder around and there was also the barnes wallis pressure chamber to have a wonder around.

Can't comment on the AMG experience, but could hear the cars!!

Man of Honour
If you are interested in history then yes, without question. I loved seeing the banking, even though there is not much of it left these days but still, enough for me to have a few moments lost in imagining. The air museum is interesting and their do a good buffet breakfast to the side of Mercedes world where we all tend to pile into when we have a car meet down there.

Back
Top Bottom