brute force attack on linux encrypted volume

Soldato
Long story but...

if / when I get the drive back I want to try and brute force the volume,

it's a bootable OS drive running linux,

All I know is its an encrypted volume (I don't know what method or any other variables)

where do I start? as in

1) I assume I have to install a linux rig to mount the volume and attack it from
2) should I tool up with a couple of top end video cards? (I don't mind spending 10K / 15K on a rig)
3) any good places to calculate possible hash rates (if its going to be 100 years ill not bother if its 10 ill get started, and upgrade the hardware every few years)
4) any good further reading?
5) any suggested software?

Man of Honour
I've got to ask what's so important about this drive that you're willing to spend thousands of pounds and a decade of time getting into it!?

Associate
Without knowing the encryption method its pretty impossible to say how it was encrypted and then you would have to essentially brute force every encryption method til you found the right method and right key.

Make a post about how it contains something dodgy and tag it with NSA plz dont read.
NSA will come take it off you and do the hard work for you.

Caporegime
Long story but...

if / when I get the drive back I want to try and brute force the volume,

it's a bootable OS drive running linux,

All I know is its an encrypted volume (I don't know what method or any other variables)

where do I start? as in

1) I assume I have to install a linux rig to mount the volume and attack it from
2) should I tool up with a couple of top end video cards? (I don't mind spending 10K / 15K on a rig)
3) any good places to calculate possible hash rates (if its going to be 100 years ill not bother if its 10 ill get started, and upgrade the hardware every few years)
4) any good further reading?
5) any suggested software?

Convince the local cops that it contains illegal material, and they'll do the job for you. For best results, murmur 'Allahu Akbar...' when handing it over.

:D

Soldato
More info. How do you know it's encrypted, is someone playing a joke?

If they are then they could have set a random huge passphrase that your never going to decrypt in this lifetime, need some more background info.

Soldato
Is this experimental, or do you actually have data on the drive that you require?

To be honest, even if you're doing it from an experimental perspective, i would say don't waste your time and money. There will be larger groups/organisations who already attempt to brute force their way into an encrypted drive, and will have much higher spec hardware.

Back
Top Bottom