BSD or Linux?

Associate
I've been thinking about changing my Windows Desktop system for something new. Mainly because its about time I learn something new and I've been meaning to try Linux for a long time.

I've stubbled across one of the many BSD Unix disto's and wondered how or if they differed from Linux? Which would be better for me?

Are there any BSD users here? What do you think of it compared to Linux etc? Is it as configurable? Is it harder or easiler to learn? Your thoughts?

Associate
While I am not to familiar with the differences between BSD and Linux, I would recommend the Ubuntu Linux distribution to any new "convert" from Windows.

Maybe someone else with more experience of BSD can shed some light on this question.

Associate
I'd go with Linux. BSD i'd say in my opinion was a bit more stable, but you'll find it a lot harder to get to grips with if you have no prior *nix experience. Linux has the better hardware support and also much more user friendly documentation available (this includes how-tos, forums, etc.) for it. Also for BSD is more suited to server applications so any desktop enviroments should work but may have problems. At the stage of learning about *nix systems, BSD is more trouble than it's worth.

Associate
If you want to try GNU/Linux, and not just replace Windows, why not jump in at the deep end? If you're planning to replace a windows system and run GNU/Linux on the cast-down machine, (that's what it sounds like) then you don't need to fret too much about screwing something up...

If you want to replace the operating system on your main machine, then if it's as easy as everyone says it is, maybe Ubuntu is for you..

Back
Top Bottom