BSOD, Caused by?

Associate
I'm not 100% sure what cause's a BSOD.

Recently i've formated my HD and re-installed windows because I was getting quite a lot of BSOD. After the re-installation i'm still getting them :rolleyes:

I havn't changed any BIOS options, hardware options, and havn't done any tweaks /overclocks for about 6 months. So i'm guessing it's faulty hardware?

I thought RAM was the cause of a BSOD, but thought i'd check here before I try and send them back.

The blue screens usually pop up when the memory is being used, e.g. when playing a game, or doing a virus scan of the whole system... things that use quite a bit of memory.

Thanks guys.

Rab

Rab

Associate
d/l memtest, it will tell u if u have faulty ram. run only test 5, c if it pass's say 10 times, if cant ram faulty.
if pass's those test let it run full test for 4hrs +. this will let u know if ram faulty.

Associate
OP

Rab

Rab

Associate
u pics wont show up for me, wierd, but if u getting a few errors, would say ram faulty, did u run test on each stick, also try diff ram slots, u never know. g/l

Associate
NachT said:
Ok, i downloaded memtest and ran it.

I don't know if these results are good or bad, so... here they are.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8934/2409061308ix5.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9234/2409061307po7.jpg

I don't know if all RAM has errors, evan the good working RAM? Just not as many errors. I don't know :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if this RAM is faulty in any way?

...It used to work fine, untill 2 days ago. Now I keep getting BSOD.

Bah, nothing ever goes right for me :(

Yep, your errors are in the thousands, something is certainly not right there. Is your ram running at the correct timings etc? If you have two sticks try just running with one stick to see if your problems stop. But that is a hell of a lot of errors you are getting there on memtest. AFAIK my ram doesn't cause a signle error any time I've run memtest. Is the ram new or still in warrenty?

Associate
OP
Pulseammo said:
Yep, your errors are in the thousands, something is certainly not right there. Is your ram running at the correct timings etc? If you have two sticks try just running with one stick to see if your problems stop. But that is a hell of a lot of errors you are getting there on memtest. AFAIK my ram doesn't cause a signle error any time I've run memtest. Is the ram new or still in warrenty?

The RAM is basically brand new, baught it along with every thing els when I built this system, about 6 months ago.

Every thing is at defualt, timings, Volts etc. The only thing i've changed is the clock speed, from DDR 200 to 400. And I changed that months ago :rolleyes:

Rab

Rab

Associate
that amount of errors looks bad, one more thing forgot 2 say, u testing the ram with everything @ stock speeds, forgot 2 mention that :(
if u r & thats the errors, maybe time 2 rma or replace, but as says try diff slots ect, rule out all probs before even thinking of replacing, g/l

Associate
OP
.... Hours later.

I've found the stick that is broken, the other sticks are 100% ok

God knows how one stick suddenly had about 50 billion errors on it?

I know this is probably a stupid question to ask, but how did I manage to break it? or was it just a freak thing that could have happend to anyone?

Any way, thanks to that broken stick of RAM. I thought the BSOD that I was getting were cause by somthing I must have done on windows. So I formated my HD because of it, have to re-configure my windows again, install all my app's, re-do all my tweaks, and give the microsoft custome care line a ring because my windows key has "Reached the amount of times it can be used"

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Soldato
NachT said:
.... Hours later.

I've found the stick that is broken, the other sticks are 100% ok

God knows how one stick suddenly had about 50 billion errors on it?

I know this is probably a stupid question to ask, but how did I manage to break it? or was it just a freak thing that could have happend to anyone?

Any way, thanks to that broken stick of RAM. I thought the BSOD that I was getting were cause by somthing I must have done on windows. So I formated my HD because of it, have to re-configure my windows again, install all my app's, re-do all my tweaks, and give the microsoft custome care line a ring because my windows key has "Reached the amount of times it can be used"

*sigh* :rolleyes:

computers who'd have um' :p

Associate
NachT said:
The RAM is basically brand new, baught it along with every thing els when I built this system, about 6 months ago.

Every thing is at defualt, timings, Volts etc. The only thing i've changed is the clock speed, from DDR 200 to 400. And I changed that months ago :rolleyes:

Depending on the make it should have a warrenty provided you have invoices etc. If its geil ram I think they do lifetime.

Also, I'm confused, are you saying you bought DDR200 ram but were running at DDR400 speeds? If so that could be the cause for the damage.

Associate
OP
The RAM I have is,

Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC4000 Ballistix Dual Channel Kit

I got told it was ok to run it at 200Mhz, thats right yeah? :confused:

Associate
Thats correct. Its past DDR400 RAM, infact if you are running that at DDR400 you are running it below its certified speed (ie you are running it at PC3200). However, I've read MANY threads on the memory forum of ballistix failing, dunno why, they just fail. Do a search on the memory forum and see what the other users have done in your case, I think quite a few did an RMA with crucial who sent them new sticks (not 100% sure though, you'll have to find some threads).

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help mates :D

I'm so glad this forum is here, it's has by far the most helpful / kind people ;)

Back
Top Bottom