Bst should be kept permanently.

Associate
I’m with you, but the GMT lovers will be on to complain how that would adversely affect farmers and school kids in Scotland.

I never understood why the artificial construct of human time keeping would impact farming anyway - you think that would be controlled by the light levels and weather - the farmer would just work irrespective of what the clock says. For the schools, I think they should just have their own localised schedule changes to get around it.

Associate
OP
I’m with you, but the GMT lovers will be on to complain how that would adversely affect farmers and school kids in Scotland.

I never understood why the artificial construct of human time keeping would impact farming anyway - you think that would be controlled by the light levels and weather - the farmer would just work irrespective of what the clock says. For the schools, I think they should just have their own localised schedule changes to get around it.

They have 90% of the population impacted because less than 10% don t want it. As you say , I don't think it would have any impact for farmers, if it does I don't understand why time is a number.

I am sure if the was a vote, 90% would want to keep BST all year round.

Last edited:
Soldato
If put to a national vote to remove clock changes and add going fully Metric to that, I'd wager the vote would be to remove and add.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably not, due to those around that finished school and started work using Imperial.

Give it another 10 years perhaps and I would like to see the UK go fully Metric and also loose clocks back/forward.
Dunno about the imperial business l, I think you'd have had to have been in school a long time ago to have been taught in lbs, ounces, inches and so on. Probably pre decimalisation.

Can't get my head around imperial, metric all the way. You can give me a farenheit figure and you may as well tell me it's four potatoes hot outside but not quite gerbil feet.

I don't think BST was primarily about farmers but moreso about saving energy it turns out. I'd listen to that argument.

Last edited:

lcg

lcg

Associate
If put to a national vote to remove clock changes and add going fully Metric to that, I'd wager the vote would be to remove and add.
uHIBQc1.png

Soldato
Dunno about the imperial business l, I think you'd have had to have been in school a long time ago to have been taught in lbs, ounces, inches and so on. Probably pre decimalisation.

Can't get my head around imperial, metric all the way. You can give me a farenheit figure and you may as well tell me it's four potatoes hot outside but not quite gerbil feet.

I don't think BST was primarily about farmers but moreso about saving energy it turns out. I'd listen to that argument.

Should have followed Australia and NZ when they fully switched in the 70's

Last edited:
Soldato

Should have followed Australia and NZ when they fully switched in the 70's
True.

It was for farming but it stopped, it was then reintroduced because of fuel shortages. Or something. So both. Guess it doesn't really matter :)

Associate
I'd keep the changes but go for GMT+1 in winter and GMT+2 in summer. Sunrise before 5am at any time of the year is completely pointless.

Am aware of the implications for people in the north, but having lived in Glasgow for six years I also appreciated the significantly longer summer evenings.

Man of Honour
Probably not, due to those around that finished school and started work using Imperial.

Give it another 10 years perhaps and I would like to see the UK go fully Metric and also loose clocks back/forward.

I grew up using both miles, km, feet and metres, etc. and in that respect I wouldn't vote to have it any different - I actually prefer miles for distances and speed at car scale often using miles for long distances then metres for sub 1 mile, for things like DIY I find both systems have their place - sometimes things just make more sense using one or the other system. For pretty much anything else though screw Imperial - again grew up using both but kg, ml, etc. I find make more sense.

Personally would vote to remove changing the clocks - don't care whether that is sticking with BST or GMT.

Back
Top Bottom