BT and Data cables to garden office

Associate
Hi

I'm having a garden office built and want to get a phone line and CAT 6 cables to it.

PHONE:
I want the phone to ring where it's currently located in the house and also for it to ring in the garden office as well.

Would it be OK to use normal BT extension wire in flexi duct buried a few inches underground?

If that's OK then I could just connect to the master socket: Orange wire to pin 3, dark blue wire to pin 2 and white/blue wire to pin 5?

OR should I use No 10 drop wire? If I have to use drop wire does anyone know what wires correspond to those in the master socket as they are a different colour.

CAT Cable.
The CAT is for the broadband and TV. Would CAT 5e suffice vs CAT 6? I was going for CAT 6 due to less noise/interference.

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
S

Associate
Just run whatever network cable you have for the phone, no need to buy anything special. Also pin5 doesn't need to be connected, its a vestigal thing from ring capacitors iirc.

How long is the run? Will it be run anywhere near power? Rarely an actual need for cat6 over cat5e

Also remember to use an outdoor/duct grade cable, normal cat cables dont like UV or water very much.

Associate
umm, might be wrong about the pin 5 being unused, questioning myself now but you only need a pair for sure.

edit - 2 and 5 are voice, 3 being the ringer. Sorry!

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks. The run will be about 25-30m. Everything will be buried.

I'm going to put the Cat and phone line in the same conduit. I've read that the electrics should run separately.

Just been looking at cablemonkey that stock 5e patch leads. Unfortunately, their shielded leads don't run that far, so might have to go for unshielded.

Soldato
Have you checked you existing cordless phone (assuming you have one) to see if it works in the proposed office location already? Modern digital cordless jobbies have a great range I can wander down the street on mine quite happily and would save the need or another wire!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have an exterior office (well actually i am in the process of building one), and i just have an additional cordless handset for the landline. The 2nd handset in the regular packs of 2-3 you buy dont need a phone connection, they just have charger docks and actually communicate with the single master basestation for the phone connection.

Soldato
If you are going to dig in a cable then put duct in - I used 42mm waste pipe joined with straight couplers -Bundle of 10 from Toolstation is cheap enough - You can never have enough duct space

Associate
You might get away with a twin DEC phone. That way you won't need the additional phone wire going through the group. The range on those is surprisingly good.

Soldato
Out of interest, what do most people use for draw cords to be left in place in such ducting?

Anything - old cable - string but I used to use BT blue draw rope - Years ago they pulled cables in and binned the big heaps of knotted and twisted rope.

Lidl sell all sizes of nylon string for 2 quid when offers are on.

One other thing is if you use waste pipe use swept bends not 90 deg ones

Back
Top Bottom