1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

That is REIN which is electrical interference on the same wavelength of the DSL signal and it trips it up.

Can normally test for it by using an old fashioned radio tuned to 612KHz you should be able to make out the DSL tones if placed near the Modem. If a loud static is heard over the tones then that is REIN but it is not an exacting science.

Shawrey

2. Avalon

Soldato

I’ve known similar with street lighting - line was fine till it came on, obviously In the summer the line checks out fine during the day etc.

3. RSR

Sgarrista

Code:
    ============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 6 hours: 26 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     20.032 Mbps       47.613 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     19.997 Mbps       47.614 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:        6.3 dB            6.2 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:        6.9 dBm          12.8 dBm
               Receive Power:       -9.0 dBm          -3.0 dBm
                  Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      47.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       15.9 dB           15.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     20.683 Mbps       47.508 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  3.0    18.6    29.8     N/A    10.8    25.3    40.6
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.0    17.7    28.8     N/A    12.3    25.1    40.5
            SNR Margin(dB):  6.5     6.2     6.3     N/A     6.2     6.2     6.2
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 6.3   -24.8     6.7     N/A     9.1     7.8     6.7

The line normally runs against a 3dB target but its been reset soo many times, I guess it will need time for DLM to kick in again.

These are my line stats from October before it went wrong

Code:
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= Plink log 2019.10.14 06:00:05 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

xdslcmd info --stats
    xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Retrain Reason:    0
    Last initialization procedure status:    0
    Max:    Upstream rate = 20535 Kbps, Downstream rate = 80708 Kbps
    Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
    Bearer:    1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
    Link Power State:    L0
    Mode:            VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL2 Profile:        Profile 17a
    TPS-TC:            PTM Mode(0x0)
    Trellis:        U:ON /D:ON
    Line Status:        No Defect
    Training Status:    Showtime
            Down        Up
    SNR (dB):     3.3         6.2
    Attn(dB):     15.9         0.0
    Pwr(dBm):     12.7         6.8

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. woppy101

Mobster

I get 20mb more with the same attenuation

5. Marvt74

Capodecina

Does the Superfast 2 Fibre ever get much cheaper than £40?

It was £40 when i last had it and seems to still be the same whilst others are quite a bit lower.

I also fancy the "Complete Wifi" package as with an old house with thick walls we struggle in a few rooms, but £50 a month feels a lot (about £40 when you factor in cashback/gift card).

Would prefer a better promotion though if they come up.

6. RSR

Sgarrista

So 8/9th Openreach engineer has been and gone, zero change to my connection as again they can't find any fault with the line yet still being away below my minimum speeds.

I've paid the £250 ex VAT for the site survey for FTTPoD, which can "The survey has a lead time of at least 4 weeks. After the survey, you will have 28 days to accept or reject the confirmed build charge"

7. BigT

Mobster

Could I ask who you’re using to enquire about FTTPoD and getting the surveys done with? And has the experience so far been positive?

8. RSR

Sgarrista

Yes, my FTTPoD quote has been provided by Cerberus Networks and its Openreach that will be doing my survey as I spoke to the Openreach engineer today about it. He seems to think it would be a straight forward install given the aggr node is 250-399m away from the property.

Seems postive thus far with comms from them buts its early days yet and it depends on the overall costs.

I'm interested to see what the site survey comes with(FTTPoD desktop survey was £10,700 ex Vat) as my leased line install costs have been quoted at 2600+vat for a 1Gb bearer.

9. Marvt74

Capodecina

Just signed back up for BT, i'd switched to EE back in October but despite the Homehub being identical we had loads of dropped connections and poor wifi coverage which was incredibly annoying.

Fortunately i got an email about a price increase which is against my contract so got a free get out :D

Plus to follow up on my post above, they released a "new" offer which this time was targeted at the Superfast 2 and brought it down to £30 from £40. Shows that timing plays a big part as when i tried to get the price reduced by calling on Wednesday they wouldn't budge!

10. RSR

Sgarrista

I had another update from Zen today I have been given the following options:

1. Push it again with Openreach DSO, but they may reject it.
    2. I've been offered a downgrade "Fibre 1" as they feels its more in line with what my line can now offer.
    3. A full refund, as they are unable to provide the service purchased.

As I have paid for a year up front, ill have a think about it over the weekend. I also have a wait on the site survey and to see what that comes back with in terms of costs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  11. TJM

Wise Guy

Something to keep in mind with FTTPoD is that it can take 12-18 months to deliver. With Openreach accelerating the rollout of native FTTP, it may not be worth paying for at this stage.

12. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

I know the feeling 33/9 here though SnR is 7.2 which seems high but it hasn't budged one jot since the line went live. Funnily enough Virgin dug and cabled up the street and plonked a cabinet outside my window immediately after I signed up, it takes 6-8 months to get connected up apparently then I just need a price increase to terminate the contract early and I'll be off...

13. faceman123

Wise Guy

Any news on the 1gbps tier in march?

14. RSR

Sgarrista

So my FTTPoD order has been confirmed as submitted to BT and its currently pending a site survey by Openreach and I have been told the following "Please note BT Openreach review all FTTPoD orders on a weekly basis and provides us with an update. These are usually available on Thursdays/Fridays. However if there is any update received sooner then that I will pass it to you."

So I will post the progress as and when I get it for anyone that's interested.

Also all communications from Cerberus so far have been good, which is a postive.

Zen Internet has now pushed my FTTC line fault to Openreach's DSO, so I am waiting on a update for that. However, the line seems to still be running at 47/20 with no improvements.

15. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

I've just had an email through inviting me to join a full fibre trial so I presume it's the 1gbps tier. I've enrolled so I'll be curious to see what kinda timelines they are working with.

16. faceman123

Wise Guy

thanks, are you currently FTTP?

17. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

Yeah, 330/50. I was planning to upgrade to 1gbps unless it's £LOL.

18. faceman123

Wise Guy

Nice man, wish I got the email for that trial ... :( I'm on the same keep me posted - hoping the uploads 1gbps to!

19. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

I'm pretty sure it's only 115 up, that's was what reported by ispreview. It's annoying as I'm thinking it'll be £70 a month.

20. ChrisD.

Capodecina

My desktop survey came in around £12k, I paid for the full survey and I think the final price was £7k plus VAT. There’s the small business grant to consider if you’re a ltd company. I was annoyed as the engineer who did the desktop survey said it should be an easy job as there’s clear ducting all the way from the aggregation node to the front of my house so he seemed fairly confident there would be no civil works involved. I decided it was too much so I didn’t progress. I’ve since gone permanent and I’m closing the business down so perhaps I should have took it on the chin as I still haven’t moved house!