BT Infinity. , worth a punt ?

Get real guys. You're paying peanuts for a 40/10 connection with 300GB cap. It's going to be shaped to hell. P2P speeds will suck.
I expect it to be shaped, it's in the terms, what I don't expect is to be permenantly restricted. That's not in the terms but if it was then fair enough, I'd pay more to someone else who can provide what I need.

Get real guys. You're paying peanuts for a 40/10 connection with 300GB cap. It's going to be shaped to hell. P2P speeds will suck.

Shaped after 300GB. My usenet connection runs at 35Mb/s+ all the time.

The reason I suspect p2p is being shaped is because novice users will let it run with no upload speed limits resulting in 10Mb/s uploads. These lines aren't made to be running servers, and so having constant uploads at such speeds is taking the mickey.

Most people won't reach 300GB. If you are one of those rare people downloading hundreds of gigabytes a month, look elsewhere.

Last edited:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-081-LS&tool=3

Linksys by Cisco WAG160N-UK 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem/Router [WAG160N-UK]

will this router work ok with FTTC, its pretty modern so i am thinking yes? Just have to wait for my exchange to be activated. BT are saying Dec 2010, lets hope they can make that :). Everyone here seems to be getting pretty close to 40/10 which is great, especially as my road over looks the sea and i dont think i will be able to get cable anytime soon.

No, you need an ethernet router because the VDSL modem is a separate peice of kit.

My understanding from my research, its only available in my area back in the UK at the end of the year. Frankly im not looking forward to going back home to my 2meg/500k service back in the UK ive got rather used to nearly 100meg in Korea (note thats the head line speed once you get "outside korea" it crashes to the ground quiet quickly.)

Nobody has answered my question about the homehub yet, is it Gbit or only 100 ethernet?

The reason I suspect p2p is being shaped is because novice users will let it run with no upload speed limits resulting in 10Mb/s uploads. These lines aren't made to be running servers, and so having constant uploads at such speeds is taking the mickey.

Most people won't reach 300GB. If you are one of those rare people downloading hundreds of gigabytes a month, look elsewhere.
Yeay that's just it though, I don't fall into this category, yet I'm being treated like I do.

At the end of the day the restriction doesn't change the amount of bandwidth I use, which isn't accessive, comfortably below 100GB/month atm in a 5 member household. It just takes longer and makes it more of an inconvenience than it needs to be. All because of these torrent monkeys seeding to public trackers 24/7.

will this router work ok with FTTC
You need a cable router, one of these will be fine (I know it says virgin in the menu but just ignor that)

Frankly im not looking forward to going back home to my 2meg/500k service back in the UK ive got rather used to nearly 100meg in Korea...

Nobody has answered my question about the homehub yet, is it Gbit or only 100 ethernet?
Stay in korea :p
I beleive the ports on the infinity hub are fast ethernet not gigabit.

Just had Infinity installed this morning, engineer called 3 hours before allotted appointment saying he was available then, too if it was convenient, uckily I have the week off work for half term, he came over, all done in about 2 hours, including moving the master socket upstairs to the office! Very chuffed!

TimBrad, was the moving of the master socket included in the installation charge or extra? Need mine moving upstairs to the office as well as the master socket is no where near any power

Stupid question - how does this connect/relate to the phone point in your house (is it like adsl) - the reason I ask is our main phone point is downstairs - in my room upstairs its just on a long extension lead so I'm wondering about connections etc - I'm on virgin atm so already have a cable router etc (just need the new infinity modem I guess)?

How good/bad is bittorrent - it's not too bad on my virgin account (say 1-1.5gb a day max).

Last edited:
Hey,

300GB cap? Thats rather low given the speeds involved with it isn't it?

Only if you want to run your line at max speed 24/7. Most people don't, and most providers don't want those people as customers.

I can't imagine being able to come anywhere close to 300GB in a month's usage. I don't often bother with iPlayer tho, which is "alledgedly" how everyone hits these high numbers ;) *cough*nudge*wink*

I been with them one month now, never had any problems so far well happy with it. Always downloading at 4.4mb sec from Grabit :)

Capture-4.png

BT epic estimates strike.

This is next doors checker estimate.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2010. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 39.6 Mbps and upstream line speed of 10.7 Mbps.

This is mine on the same cab which I can see out of my window.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 4Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2010. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.3 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.2 Mbps.

funny that I'm connected at 17.5mb with o2.

Last edited:
Shaped after 300GB. My usenet connection runs at 35Mb/s+ all the time.

Just wait for it. There's no way they can support 24/7 35Mb/s USENET. ;)

There's a reason why other providers are more expensive and have reasonable caps. They have realistic expectations!

BT epic estimates strike.

This is next doors checker estimate.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2010. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 39.6 Mbps and upstream line speed of 10.7 Mbps.

This is mine on the same cab which I can see out of my window.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 4Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2010. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.3 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.2 Mbps.

funny that I'm connected at 17.5mb with o2.

"Estimate" being the key word.

Just wait for it. There's no way they can support 24/7 35Mb/s USENET. ;)

There's a reason why other providers are more expensive and have reasonable caps. They have realistic expectations!

Well its not 24/7. I stay within the 300GB/mo fair use limit.

So Infinity does throttle torrents to nothing during 'peak hours'?

I got BT Infinity on Friday, I'm probably going to create a thread about this soon actually. At peak hours (on a 37mb connection) I get 15 kbs a second, I understand throttling and that but jesus christ..all the way down to that? Off peak hours the highest I've seen it go no higher than 800 kbs a second I tested this off the same 3 torrents I would start it on peak and leave it for an hour and see the max speed then pause and do the same off peak, each torrent had atleast 50 seeds. I'm beginning to think their may be something wrong with my Vuze settings, same thing happened on utorrent.

Back
Top Bottom