BT Infinity

Soldato
You will probably want a better router if you upgrade to 80/20 as I believe the WRT54GL's routing power maxes out at roughly 40Mb/s.

I was looking at this too recently, are there any routers like the WRT54GL that you can install Tomato on with gigabit ethernet/wireless N?

The customisation the Linux routers gives is invaluable :(

Edit: It should be noted that you can over clock the WRT54GL from 200mhz to anywhere up to 280mhz, increasing it's routing ability a fair bit.

I'm currently at 216MHz and it's been stable with WiFI output power at 105mw, I wonder how much the routing speed has been improved by...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had Infinity installed yesterday, was quoted 27/10, getting 32/10 so far, but it's still settling down.
Looking to change BT kit to a Draytek Vigor 2750n, but it's b***** expensive, so got to wait a few weeks.:(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've been looking at the routers that support the Tomato firmware and I don't think any of them do support gigabit, which is a shame as I'd really like to stay using a Tomato router.

Ideally I'd like to stay with a Tomato router as it means I can import all the settings onto a new one without going through the hastle of setting up static IP, port forwarding, ect.

Permabanned
I have just entered phase two of BT incompetence aka billing.

Took me two to three months to get infinity installed. To which i was promised first three months free and free install. As i only got it installed on the 2nd september i should not pay until december.

Well just received my first bill. Not only does it charge me for the first three months, but i have also been charged for the bt adsl 2 rental from august to september, to which they put me on so they could install infinity which was meant to be temporary free solution. Not only that but they have also latched on a static ip address at an extra £5 per month. Just trying to get the static ip address cancelled but they don't believe the story and want to charge me £40 to cancel it. The bt customer service is now listening to previous phone calls to see what was said. I laughed and said good luck with that, as there was about 50 of them. ahahhaha... just received bill for £220 for "free" adsl 2 and static ip address that was never ordered.

So watch out for this company or they will rob you.

Permabanned
It is not even a real static ip address, it is just a dhcp ip with a long lease time. I did not order it but it came with the adsl 2, so it looks like that was just moved over to the infinity "automatically". Well it must have.

But they have cancelled the static ip with out charges now and will try to fix the bill. So they are going to sort it out. But just have to wait for call back.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It's something I'm looking to get next. I mentioned to the installer about the 80/20 speed increase and he said it would need a new modem and there would probably be a charge for the upgrade - any information on how true this is?

You won't need a new modem. The installers are usually pretty clueless.

Back
Top Bottom