BT Just sent me two routers?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I just signed up with BT Broadband (can't get NTL where I live :() and asked for the older model wired router (220V). They've sent me two.

My scheming mind is working overtime on how to turn this into some sort of advantage.

Is there any, or shall I just send one back?

Soldato
Fixed rate ADSL products have a 256kbps upstream but Max products have a 400kbps upstream (that's not including the ATM overheads).

Associate
Don't send it back unless they ask for it. That would be just too honest. Keep it for a bit to see if they do, perhaps use it if you have any reason to, and if not sell it.

Soldato
OP
osc89er said:
Don't send it back unless they ask for it. That would be just too honest. Keep it for a bit to see if they do, perhaps use it if you have any reason to, and if not sell it.

Think I'll do this. They might even charge me for it next month or something, so I'd better wait and see.

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Just checked my line stats now I'm up and running and it says 448 kb?

Minus the ATM overheads and it's a shade under 400kbps :)

On the fixed-rate products the upstream is 256kbps but the upstream sync rate is 288kbps to take ATM overheads into account.

To find out the rough actual data rate without ATM overheads, divide by 1.125. As you might be aware, even a full 8128kbps sync for the downstream is actually only a 7.15mbit data rate. To give an example, 8128 / 1.125 = 7225.

Soldato
OP
Speaking of which, I'm testing my download speed and I'm getting 250 kB/s.

Is it me or is that kinda slow for an 8MB line?

I am right next to the exchange, Atten = 19dB, SNR = 15.8dB.

Is it just because this is a peak time?

(Sorry, I'm coming from NTL cable to BT ADSL).

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Speaking of which, I'm testing my download speed and I'm getting 250 kB/s.

Is it me or is that kinda slow for an 8MB line?

I am right next to the exchange, Atten = 19dB, SNR = 15.8dB.

Is it just because this is a peak time?

(Sorry, I'm coming from NTL cable to BT ADSL).

What's your sync rate? If you're newly activated then it should take 3 days for the speed to rise to match your sync rate, though of course, contention will come into play in peak hours too.

Soldato
OP
Phemo said:
What's your sync rate? If you're newly activated then it should take 3 days for the speed to rise to match your sync rate, though of course, contention will come into play in peak hours too.

No idea on sync rate. How do I find that out? I'm on a BT Voyager 220V wired router and it only has the following info:

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 00:00:56:40
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 3

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 8128 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 15.8 dB 21.0 dB
Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 9.0 dB
Output Power 19.8 dBm 11.9 dBm

Caporegime
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Line Rate 8128 Kbps 448 Kbps

Expect it to increase to 7.2Mbps of IP throughput, congestion permitting.
If it hasn't changed within 10 days, poke your ISP with a sharp stick (order a curry while you're at it).

Associate
I went with BT internet a couple of weeks ago, and my download speed varies all the time. Off peak I get 750-820 Kbps, on peak 500 ish

Back
Top Bottom