BT phone scam

Man of Honour
No its not it happened to a friend of mine and they completely cleaned out his bank account. He got all the money back in the end but it caused him no end of trouble.

I fail to understand how anyone with an IQ greater than a crushed banana could allow a bank account to be cleared out by anyone doing this 'scam'.

Associate
People should not easily fall into these traps, but many do. One rule to abide by is that if they need your attention on an important matter, e.g. you owe money. They will send you a formal letter, anything else I disregard as not important.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14932679 said:
I fail to understand how anyone with an IQ greater than a crushed banana could allow a bank account to be cleared out by anyone doing this 'scam'.

He's in a wheelchair and suffers from cerebral palsy but you just carry on.

The man was very believable, and im sure there is a section of the population who if their phone line was cut off (by however means, and my friend did try ringing his landline with his mobile, and just got the sound you get when your line has been disconnected) they would believe what they are being told. I would have to think twice and would only be suspicious having heard this story because of how they cleverly go about it.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14932731 said:
But why would you suddenly think you owe BT the entire contents of your bank account?

He didnt, he was asked for a payment, something along the lines of this months payment had failed and so he needed to set up the direct debit again so could they have his bank details. Once he had given them his account details, they cleaned him out.

Man of Honour
How did they manage to remove all his money just by having his account details (Presumably sort code and bank account number)?

As with most second hand stories I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.

Associate
I am a Nigerian general with 13million to put in your bank account.

In all seriousness, hope nobody will get conned by this scam.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14932763 said:
How did they manage to remove all his money just by having his account details (Presumably sort code and bank account number)?

As with most second hand stories I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.

Im not sure but I can assure you I am being honest here. If I remember correctly he was contacted by the bank after a number of suspicious transactions and them putting a stop on his account due to nearly £1k being removed from his account.

Caporegime
It was me.

No its not it happened to a friend of mine and they completely cleaned out his bank account. He got all the money back in the end but it caused him no end of trouble.

If you're ever going to give bank details etc to a company you call thier number which is found on thier letters/website never ever a number they give you on the phone, nor anyone who rings you.

Surely this iswhat you're taught the day you get a phone line :/

Soldato
If you're ever going to give bank details etc to a company you call thier number which is found on thier letters/website never ever a number they give you on the phone, nor anyone who rings you.

Surely this iswhat you're taught the day you get a phone line :/

He knows that now yes, he is probably guilty of just being too trusting but is one of those people who hates owing others money and so reacted on the spur of the moment.

Caporegime
THis sort of explains why steam and msn have "never give your password out/we will never ask for it" permanently branded across the top of them. >.<

POB

POB

Soldato
If you hammer the receiver on and off quickly you can force the line to drop a call.

Useful in instances when people have accentually rung from mobiles in pockets etc.

Man of Honour
If you hammer the receiver on and off quickly you can force the line to drop a call.

Useful in instances when people have accentually rung from mobiles in pockets etc.

You can also press recall and put the reciever down - a moment later the phone will ring briefly and then the line clears.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14932763 said:

As with most second hand stories? WTF? It is on the BBC website with BT issuing the warning? Did you read the link. There are plenty of people who could fall for this. It's a numbers game, naturally there will be plenty of people who suss them out and tell them to sod off but they aren't trying to con everyone (although they would if they could), they are trying to find those who are vulnerable, get hold of their credit card details and then buy expensive items online.

There are many people whose phone line is their link to the outside world. Prey on that weakness and there is money to be made. Stop being so sodding blinkered Fox it's really frustrating sometimes........

Back
Top Bottom