BT Wireless policy

~J~

~J~

Soldato
I'm trying to find the whereabouts on BT's 'services' that state you have to pay extra to use a Wireless router?

I'm 99.9% positive I've read somewhere that if you go with BT (or BT/Yahoo/Wanadoo package) that you can only use Wireless at an additional charge.

Anyone confirm this, and if it is true, how do they know?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Burbleflop said:
eh? Pay extra to use a wireless router? What has that got to do with BT/Anyone? Buy a router, plug it in, job done.

Yep! I'm positive I've seen it somewhere, seriously. Not saying the article was strictly correct, but I know I've heard of a few people that they couldn't use wireless routers unless they'd gone for the wireless option.

Soldato
What a load of absolute cobblers - their job is to provide you with a broadband conenction and any other ancillary services - what you do with it you end is not their business (in terms of distibuting the connection). Its like saying you can't use the connection on more than one computer(!)

Just ignore it

Are you sure you are not thinking of OpenZone (i think thats what it is called) where you can surf wireless in city places/train stations etc?

Associate
i've heard this somewhere before as well.

I know with AOL u need the gold package i think it is to use a router. Well they detect if you are logged in with more than one screen name.

Soldato
phill said:
I know with AOL u need the gold package i think it is to use a router. Well they detect if you are logged in with more than one screen name.

No you don't. You may need the gold package to get support for your router from AOL (assuming you buy one of the ones they list) but you don't need the gold package to use a router.

Using a router only requires a single screen name anyway - not one per PC.

Associate
Burbleflop said:
No you don't. You may need the gold package to get support for your router from AOL (assuming you buy one of the ones they list) but you don't need the gold package to use a router.

Using a router only requires a single screen name anyway - not one per PC.

yeah i know that - but if u then connect onto the aol software on another two machines and u dont have gold they will suspend account. :)

obv most people would just go away and use IE - but users think AOL browser = the internet :p

Soldato
Are you sure it wasn't that they'd provide you with a wireless router if you paid more per month?

As said, there is no real way of monitoring how many people you're sharing the connection with, wireless or otherwise. Certainly never heard of anyone that does it - but they won't support any connection issues with any routers, only the equipment they provided.

Back
Top Bottom