Budget Developer Machine Help

Soldato
Hello,

I am looking for a new PC for everyday use and also my work which involves running a lot of virtual machines. I need this ASAP.

However, I would eventually when I have more cash - upgrade and play some games as well (I doubt I will ever be good at the latest FPS so I guess I wont ever need to be cutting edge?).

With that in mind I was thinking of going for an Intel CPU as it has inbuilt graphics and have a stock cooler I believe?

So I need a case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM. I am planning on using an existing HDD I have, as well as keyboard and mouse.

I budgeted about 240 GBP for those components but I didn't have a clue what case to buy so hadn't budgeted that in.

I would be grateful for any pointers, I will admit I'm fairly clueless and trying to pick up what is what as quick as I can.

Soldato
As far as I know running virtual machines requires lots of RAM and I'd start with 16gb as a minimum really. With the current cost of memory you could easily drop most of the budget there.

How many VMs does this need to run?

Soldato
The only way you'll get close to that budget for such a machine is buying used. As ExRayTed said, 16 GiB of RAM will use up most of that budget by itself.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Only about 2 VMs at once most of the time. But they will have a lot of heavy tools on them like Wireshark and IDA running for long periods of time.

Could someone spec me a build from OCUK to give me a more realistic idea of what my budget ought to be?

Associate
When you say lots of VMs - how many at once, are they doing lots each etc? I happily run a bunch of VMs (2 to 6) on a 2c/4t i3 but they are each doing fairly little. If they were working harder I'd consider a better processor.

As others have said, RAM may be an issue and used is likely to be the only way to go.

Edit: was writing this when you posted ^^ not just asking for the same info again :D

Soldato
Well this is the cheapest I'd go really. I'd really want a 6 core i5 8400 instead though, simply for the extra cores. Add a decent PSU from Seasonic or Superflower and it'll take the cost to well over £400 though

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £390.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
OP
Hi thanks ExRayTed that is great. Does OCUK do a case and PSU that will fit that?

Also if I decided to update the CPU to the i5 8400 (perhaps at a later date), would it plug in to that same motherboard?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom