Budget dropper post, which one?

Soldato
As I am starting to do larger stuff on my hardtail it has made me want a dropper post more. I find I have to run my saddle quite high really otherwise I get pain in the knees, the problem there though is it makes it really difficult to get my weight backwards! I already don't quite have the saddle as high as I would like but by getting a dropper it will let me have it both ways.

So I was looking to spend up to £100 on a dropper post. So far I have found the following:

Tmars (2015 version with better lever) - £64 - Cheapest of the lot but it is the latest version which has improved cable routing a better lever. I think I read somewhere about some plastic internals but it does a gaiter which I guess helps protect the seals. Has a 1 year UK warranty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-MODE...774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce7e63226

RSP Plummet/Sorata Pro - £85 - Cheaper post which seems to even been reviewed by Dirt magazine and they liked it. Another Gravity dropper clone like the Tmars so it also has the gaiter. Not sure on the warrenty though you would imagine it would be at least 1 year from Raleigh.

http://dirtmountainbike.com/product...er-seen-and-it-works.html#54w0vWA1aQmxQOua.97

KS ETen - £94 - Possibly the cheapest hydraulic post available? It looks nicer without the gaiter but I do tend to think that surely having a gaiter to protect seals is a good thing. Been reviewed on Pinkbike and play was mentioned on the post plus it is a sealed unit so no possible servicing to repair. Other potential downside is the cable being mounted on the moving part, would that make routing more difficult?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tested-KS-ETen-Seatpost-2013.html

So yes I am a bit confused which to go for out of those, or have a missed a good option? I don't weigh much so I won't put too much undue stress on whichever but I do use the mountain bike in the middle of winter with lots of mud. Say do I go cheap and get the Tmars or is the additional £20 worth it for a different companies copy of the GD.

Associate
don't bother with cheap droppers they aren't worth the money. i have a ks eten and it's not very good , while it works as it should most of the time it's not a patch on the reverbs i own, it's slow in operation, there are crevices that mud gets into and stops the post working properly, it's heavy due to them using steel for construction and it's open bath in design so if you turn your bike upside down or go down a particularly rough track it will not return to full extension as the oil and air need time to separate.

Caporegime
I've only had the Reverb maybe 6 months or so now, but it's faultless. It just works, I wouldn't even consider anything else now.

Soldato
OP
Had a look at the reverb on ebay, these things are going for ~£120 area which is amazing high considering as you can buy a new one for £165! Only problem is that price new one is from Germany so it might make warranty a little more interesting? Can you rebuild the reverbs if it stops working?

petriodet, It is that open bath design putting me off the eTen and I am worried those mechanical ones will be too difficult to use mid trail thus being pointless.

I have found I can get the Giant Contact Switch in the UK for £135 which isn't so bad and that seems to get decent reviews. I need to do some measuring up though to find out exactly how long a seat tube I can fit in the bike.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure a shim will work, though don't take that as gospel. I did say to myself that I would never buy a 31.6 again, after having to swap reverbs numerous times while changing frames - I was set on shimming if needed.

I’ve only had reverbs, but some of my mates have KS posts and love them, particularly because of their simplicity / reliability. I’d only buy reverb though, as not a single one of mine gave me any issues. As for buying from Bike-Discount, well that’s just the price you pay / risk you take as you won’t be able to send it off to Fishers for a warranty claim (UK distro). That said, any shop can sort out a reverb and parts aren;t particularly expensive.

I can’t look online now, but a little while ago, CRC and Merlin cycles were actually the very same price as Bike-Discount so it’s worth having a look there too, as they would be obliged to offer you warranty (plus CRC do free returns)

Soldato
OP
Ahh that's a point, I totally forgot I get 10% off CRC with British cycling, makes it £167 after quidco. Will have to see if I can pick up a decent price 2nd hand reverb. If not then it seems like it could be worth spending the little extra for a new one.

Out of interest know which KS posts your mates use?

Associate
KS Eten came with my Kona Process 134 2014 model. I've had no problems with it so far. Works perfectly fine, although I don't have anything to compare it with.

Once you get that dropper post, you'll never be able to go back...

Soldato
Ahh that's a point, I totally forgot I get 10% off CRC with British cycling, makes it £167 after quidco. Will have to see if I can pick up a decent price 2nd hand reverb. If not then it seems like it could be worth spending the little extra for a new one.

Out of interest know which KS posts your mates use?

KS i950 I believe, but again... I may be wrong.

Once you get that dropper post, you'll never be able to go back...

Nope, nope nope... apparently it's only us noobs who “needs them” in “UK riding conditions”. SDK^ believes they are far too superfluous and he regularly hits everything flat out with a big old post up his bumhole.
I wish I can shred like him, but alas, I need to put my post down to have more fun on any mixed terrain trail, hitting gaps and jumps along the way, having fun over rolling tarrain and easily being able to pop my seat back up when I need to pedal.

Soldato
OP
Nope, nope nope... apparently it's only us noobs who “needs them” in “UK riding conditions”. SDK^ believes they are far too superfluous and he regularly hits everything flat out with a big old post up his bumhole.
I wish I can shred like him, but alas, I need to put my post down to have more fun on any mixed terrain trail, hitting gaps and jumps along the way, having fun over rolling tarrain and easily being able to pop my seat back up when I need to pedal.

Ha good job I don't care what others think. :p I'm only new to mountain biking (started December) but I am finding my saddle is becoming an issue as I don't feel that comfortable bringing the saddle above my crotch! I have a few close shaves where my feet have been brought off the pedals from striking the saddle and yesterday I went over the bars as I didn't have my weight far enough back!

Is it that much better to go for the 125mm drop version or do most people find the 100mm ones fine? I have ~200mm of post above my frame for reference.

Back
Top Bottom