Budget Ryzen Ram?

Associate
Hi all,

Just a follow up to my post in the full build thread, my Ryzen budget rig is coming with standard vulcan ram at 2400mhz.

I was thinking of going for:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-grey-tdged416g300-my-089-tg.html

OR

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html

I know there seems to be a lot to factor in with Ryzen ram, just based on the threads in here alone. Can someone point me to decently priced ram, that would help/ be compatible with this rig:

"AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black
Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Graphics Card
Coolermaster AM4 brackets
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4)
"

Today is my last change to make any changes and I want to make the most of this build.

Soldato
I think the second set you linked is the same that's used on the 8pack bundles so I'd say it's a safe bet to go with that. But best check the motherboard qvl just to be sure.

Associate
OP
I think the second set you linked is the same that's used on the 8pack bundles so I'd say it's a safe bet to go with that. But best check the motherboard qvl just to be sure.
Hi thanks for the reply.
I rang oc today to see what they recommend but they pushed really hard for me to stay at 2400mhz due to a lot of builds coming back with issues like bsod or having to clock down the ram to get the system stable.
So I agreed to stay as is, I don't feel like it's the best choice as everything points to more mhz the better due to how ryzen scales.
But I can't seem to find qvl listed ram, with Samsung chips within my budget anyways.
I just hope it doesn't arrive and is gimped. If anyone can recommend decently priced comapatlity ram i would appreciate it. :confused:

Soldato
Hi thanks for the reply.
I rang oc today to see what they recommend but they pushed really hard for me to stay at 2400mhz due to a lot of builds coming back with issues like bsod or having to clock down the ram to get the system stable.
So I agreed to stay as is, I don't feel like it's the best choice as everything points to more mhz the better due to how ryzen scales.
But I can't seem to find qvl listed ram, with Samsung chips within my budget anyways.
I just hope it doesn't arrive and is gimped. If anyone can recommend decently priced comapatlity ram i would appreciate it. :confused:

they pushed you to stay at 2400mhz?! that's not right. you really do want to be looking at 3000mhz minimum ram for Ryzen. worst case scenario with 3000mhz ram you will have to run it underclocked temporarily while waiting for bios updates. i'd be back on the phone to them to be honest.

Associate
OP
they pushed you to stay at 2400mhz?! that's not right. you really do want to be looking at 3000mhz minimum ram for Ryzen. worst case scenario with 3000mhz ram you will have to run it underclocked temporarily while waiting for bios updates. i'd be back on the phone to them to be honest.

I got that advice both on the phone and via webnote. The guys have been great but it's very confusing all around to get conflicting information.

I don't even see the Vulcan ram on the mobo compatibility list, it's obviously budget ram just trying to get best bang for buck. Do you have any ideas of what ram i should look at? It will be dispatching Tuesday so probably to late to make changes come then.

Soldato
I got that advice both on the phone and via webnote. The guys have been great but it's very confusing all around to get conflicting information.

I don't even see the Vulcan ram on the mobo compatibility list, it's obviously budget ram just trying to get best bang for buck. Do you have any ideas of what ram i should look at? It will be dispatching Tuesday so probably to late to make changes come then.
I'd be contacting them first thing Tuesday morning before time for dispatch. Look at the thread below. Even 8pack points to 3200 ram being the 'sweet spot' for Ryzen.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/am4-ram-sweetspot.18780994/

I'm only on my phone at the minute so can't see the qvl list for that motherboard properly. Have a scour through the ram sub forum and see what other folks are pairing with that particular board but don't get to stressed about ram - bios updates are fixing ram issues so just have a look at 3000/3200 ram within your budget.

Associate
OP
Yep , Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30 is one of them used in 8 packs Bundle builds .

This was the set i was gonna go for i mean for an extra £10.00, but as i said they advised me there were getting a lot of returns due to BSOD coming back with sets above 2400mhz. So I dunno, it seems a stability vs performance issue maybe? ah I dunno, but they werent keen on the idea I know that lol!

Associate
This was the set i was gonna go for i mean for an extra £10.00, but as i said they advised me there were getting a lot of returns due to BSOD coming back with sets above 2400mhz. So I dunno, it seems a stability vs performance issue maybe? ah I dunno, but they werent keen on the idea I know that lol!

3200mhz or 3000mhz Kits , a lot will be unstable but you can still Use them at lower speed like 2400mhz / or 2133mhz defort with out XMP enabled , as you may know
new bios up soon should help with higher speeds for SK hynix Chips .

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, for a user who is new to memory tuning I would also suggest to stay at 2400 just because it's most likely to be 100% stable.

It is indeed possible to go 3200, but there is still no guarantee that they will work 100% of the time, partly because some motherboard BIOS is still not updated and have potential memory holes.

However, I would still say return the RAM that you have and purchase something like the Flare X or Corsair 3600c18 (ver 4.13) and manually clock it to 2666 (or 3200c14 if you know how to tune it) and wait until AGESA 1.0.0.6 is officially out.

Back
Top Bottom