Build Advice.

Associate
I just sent a friend of mine my old GTX 770 as he doesn't have a graphics card at all but it just isn't working, he isn't sure what his motherboard is just yet but the CPU he's using is the AMD A8-6500 APU. I can only assume his motherboard just doesn't like the 770 and i was wanting to know if anyone here knows what motherboard will work with the GTX 770 and that CPU.

Associate
OP
When he says 'it's not working' - Do you have any more information? Is it receiving power from the board/psu? Is it crashing upon startup etc?

Yeah sorry about that, all hes told me is that its beeping and not starting up. I also sent him my old PSU that used to run that card. So, the only difference is his board, chip and memory.

Associate
No worries. Yep makes sense, I'd make the same conclusion as you in that case. I'm assuming all works fine without the card in there? (with the PSU that you gave him in) If yes, tell him to update BIOS if possible. If still no good he'll have to look into the beep code he's getting :)

Associate
OP
Hes saying that the beeps were graphical beeps, with just the PSU he was getting the same beeps which don't make much sense to me as it wasn't plugged in. I know both PSU and 770 work as i used them before i sent them to him, i sent them the same day i got my upgraded gears. hmmmm its strange

Associate
Very strange indeed! Last thing I'd check before looking into new boards: Try his old PSU with your old card. Even though your old PSU should work fine there does seem to be something weird going on here.

Associate
Has he connected the additional PCI-E power cables to the 770? The card might not be getting the required power it needs. The beeps should also be an indicator of what's wrong during boot.

Associate
OP
sorry for the delay, We can't really try his PSU as its only 350w i believe, i'll have to double check with him when he gets back. Also, he did plug the PCI-E Power cables in, Once he gets back i'll be getting him to try and put his old card in with my old PSU see if it boots.

As for the beeps, i wasn't there at the time but a friend was helping him and he said it was graphical beeps but it even done the same beeps when he tried to power it without the gfx card in.

Back
Top Bottom